• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Danger!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Contra

hey guys what is the danger of replacing the fans from my psu?

yes i will have it unpluged but does it store a charge?
should i let it discharge?

or can i just go in after the fans and replace them like i wanna

unplug the computer. then push the power button again to discharge the comp. also wait a few min then start modding

I'd discharge the capacitors before you begin working around them. There are a few threads around that deal with the proper way to discharge them if you do a quick search. Remember capacitors are what make a PSU dangerous to work on.

Fan replacements are simple. Just make sure that you unplug power from it (duh) and hack away. I'm not sure I'd even bother with the caps for a simple fan swap, you shouldn't be anywhere near the caps. I've done this 3 times now.

Mr.Radar said:
If you're extra paranoid, keep one hand in your pocket all the time, use ruber glove, wait a day or two after the PSU has been unplugged and discharged, and use only platic tools.

HEHEH, ever seen the show monk? LOL. hes just as paranoid. :p

na just unplug the psu..fill the bathtub with water...hop in get urself some copper tools and swap out the fans. :D

-edit..hell you dont even need to unplug it...why waste the time.

Drec said:
na just unplug the psu..fill the bathtub with water...hop in get urself some copper tools and swap out the fans. :D

-edit..hell you dont even need to unplug it...why waste the time.

i agree but wouldn't it be better if i also chew on some foil?

what dynasty said; shut down, turn it off, and then push system power button is correct. That empties about 95% of the electricity in the capactiors (I know this because I desoldered a few of my molex connecors, and brushed up frequently against the cap terminals)

Back