• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

512 newcastle better then 1mb l2 chace clawhammer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Onkyo

Registered
i want to buy my stuff now but i dont know which one would be better they are the same price but i do plan to oc little bit but not sure please help .

The 1MB version, is *FAR* better. On average they have an effictice speed of the 512kb versions + 200mhz.

No matter how fast you clock the 512kb version, you will always be about 200mhz behind the 1MB version.

In otherwords, buy the 1MB ones, b4 they are gone, cuz AMD has stopped making em.

so the newcastle 512 is better overclockign cause of the 512 cache ?

ans what heatsink are you using for the 3200 ? i am thinking baout the slk-948u is that good ?

Onkyo said:
so the newcastle 512 is better overclockign cause of the 512 cache ?

ans what heatsink are you using for the 3200 ? i am thinking baout the slk-948u is that good ?

*NO* they clock slightly better. The 512kb cores are in every way, inferior. Get a 1MB. My friend Gautum swears by his. :beer:

sweet if gautam said this i will get it i trust him lol but he doent reply to me lol. so how about the heatsink ?

The 948 is what he uses. However he rigged his to take a Torin blower:eek:. But a Tornado or Smart-Fan2 should be fine.

and yea. Gautum's is a Mobile A64. As much as he has had problems with getting it to work right. He loves it dearly, as much as I adore my 2600+ M.

Happy hunting!

<ADDITIONAL NOTE> be careful of the RAM you use. A64's memory controller is very picky.

Double Sided RAM, and multiple sticks cause major headaches.

but he has a older board correct cause i ordered the chip we are talikg about and hte msi neo plat board would i get lots of problems with this ?

Hmmm Ive hear *REALLY* bad things about the 8KN PRO (the MSI). Gautum's on a Gigabyte <I believe>.

Ive heard that MSI's quality control has gone through the ****ter lately :bang head

Sentential said:
Hmmm Ive hear *REALLY* bad things about the 8KN PRO (the MSI). Gautum's on a Gigabyte <I believe>.

Ive heard that MSI's quality control has gone through the ****ter lately :bang head

yea he is on a older gigabyte board he just told me
it isnt a new one but i hear that no matter how bad the msi board is people still go back when they finally get a new one . lol which board would you reccomend ?

check out this site

http://www.aceshardware.com/read.jsp?id=65000314

they do a rundown and compare how much 1meg cache vs 512k, dual vs single channel memory, and buffered vs unbuffered.

If you look how much a 2800+ and 3000+, you can estimate how a 3200+ newcastle would compare to a 3200+ clawhammer. The difference between a newcastle and clawhammer at SIMILAR clock speed is only around 2-3% while the difference of clockspeed is 10% and will affect the peformance more. Also the newcastle have higher multiplier for higher speeds.

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2038&p=3

you can see that the clockspeed can affect the overall performance more so then an increase cache size

Back