• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

When will the Semprons be released?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RHD_BMW

Registered
I am just curious when the new sempron chips will be released. Apparently with a simple bios flash all new sempron chips will fit into our Socket A boards. Early benchmarks show that the 3100+ sempron is less than 5% behind an xp 2800 (both chips have the same speed). Will these new chips for good at overclockling or is AMD following Intels path to rename chips that didn't make the grade?

August 17th I believe.

I'm really unsure about the Sempron, for it to work with existing socket A boards it would need to NOT have an onboard memory controller, but the Socket 754 and 939 versions will have them obviously.

I have no idea how it will overclock, but it seems an expensive pointless line, at least for Socket A. I tend to think that it will be chips that weren't so great, or at least had issues of some sort.

However, seeing as some of my socket A boards have had BIOS updates released I might try one.

The sempron will be the value line. It should not be expensive at all.

Quote from http://news.zdnet.co.uk/business/0,39020645,39158222,00.htm

Meanwhile, Sempron list prices are expected to closely match those of Intel Celeron chips, meaning that chips such as a Sempron 2500+ will cost about the same as a 2.5GHz Celeron. Right now, Intel's desktop Celeron list prices range from $69 for a 2.2GHz version of the processor to $117 for a 2.8GHz version of the chip.

So, for the price. It might be just as good bang for your buck as a XP, maybe even better.

Back