• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

80mm vs 92mm case fan Q:

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

guppie

What is the size difference between 80mm and 92mm (don't tell me 12mm)? I have a standard Enlight ATX case with the fan mount thingy in bottom front and rear fan mounting holes/grill near the CPU location. I'm not 100% sure of what size fans I have, but I'm pretty sure they are 80mm Sunon fans. They are the standard fans that came with the case (pretty sure they are standard in many cases). 1 fan sucking in front bottom and 1 fan blowing out rear. Anyway, I've read that upgradcing to 92mm fans will substantially increase air-flow in my case so will the 92mm fans fit just the same as the 80mm fnas or do I have to mod something to make them fit?

Well, probably you need to mod something to fix the bigger 92mm, but they gives more airflow (more Cfm) at the same noise level, or lower, so it's the way to go if you don't wanna go with 120mm.

I've used 2x92mm on the left cover & 1x80mm on front/low that sucks, and 1x120mm on top & 1x80mm on the up/back that blows out the hot air (all Sunon's fans).

P.S. you must blow out the same air that you sucks into the case!

Damn, I was afraid of that. Why do they even make that space that small if CPUs are eventually going to get hotter and require more cooler air? OK, then can someone tell me how to go about making those 92mm fans fit in those spaces? I hate to drill new holes to mount the fans in rear of the case! What about the front bottom? This is going to be sloppy and cheesy! I would imagine most people are using the larger 4-pin connectors right?

Well your best bet would be to get a Dremel (I think I spelled that right?) and cutt the hole's bigger. Then redrill the four mounting holes to mount the 92mm fans. You'll need to get some fan grills to cover the blades. Also your best bet is to cutt a hole in the face plate in front of the fan in the front bottom of the case. This will allow a lot more air to enter the case with less resistance.

As far as using 92mm fans vs. 80mm fans. From my experience the 92mm move more air and are quiter then the 80mm fans. I would like to mod my case to take the 92mm instead of the 80mm but have'nt had the time.

Excuse me, but you wanna add more fan or replace your 80mm with 92mm?
To fit they properly well, probably you need to made four hole to screw the fan to the case, and about the connector to use, you are right, the best way to go is the 4 pin connector, they are called Molex.

Plz, what's the meaning of 'This is going to be sloppy and cheesy!' thanx :)

Well, if my case has already been fit for 80mm fans and 92mm fans won't fit properly, then I have to drill into the rear and front of the case, right? I'm not much of a crafty person and I certainly don't use drills often, so I know I'm gonna screw it up somehow and its going to look like s**t, no? I was hoping that the 92mm fans would just magically pop into place like the 80mm fans did.... :) I'm still up for suggestions.

My whole reasoning is that even if I get a better HSF (Glaciator) it won't be that much more efficient if I can't get more cool air inside the case. Granted I will get lower temps over the Volcano II, but if I can get increased airflow of cooler air inside that will be an added bonus.

My overclock (9.0 x 150) seems stable now and my Vcore is set to 1.70 so I think my temps are as good as its gonna get as is. I won't be OC anymore, since I like the stability thing, but cooler temps are always welcome!

Well first you will need a 3 1/2" holesaw to make a 92mm hole.

1)Place some wood behind the hole that you have now and screw it in place (You want to block that hole with it so the drill bit will have something to hold it in place and won't move around on you).

2)Mark the center of the new hole and start to drill. Take you time and drill slow. then drill the mounting hole for you new fan and you are done.

Thats the way I do it. Other people use a Dremel
Thats up to you. Hope that helps.

Where do you guys get your 120mm fans from? Only one I have ever bought was from Radio Shack and it was VERY LOUD! I know my 92mm fan is much quiter then my 80mm fans.

OK, so I'm lazy and not very handy. Are there any 80mm fans that are worth looking into that are relatively inexpensive? Otherwise, I may just have to start drilling!

I just did the mod on an enlight 7237OX3 adn added a 120mm panaflo to the top adn 92mm to the back the 80 in the front would be a huge pain in the a$$ since the speaker adn drive holder is in the way! I also drilled holes in the front since the standard size looked to small :)

go look and wear safety equipment.

Back