• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need a recommendation (latency vs. speed)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RipD

Relative noob to OC. I have an Asus P4P800 with PIV 2.4C. I've read a bunch of messages here and elsewhere, and my head hurts.

Given my setup, would I do better with lower latency 3200 ram, or higher latency 3700 ram. I'm thinking the 3700 is the better ram for my MB/chip.

I'm looking at getting ShikaXram in either case. Seems to be really well priced. Other recommendations welcomed.

Thanks,
Rip

Like flapper said, you need much faster ram than PC3700 to be able to fully O/C your 2.4. They are known to easily go past 250 fsb (PC4000) and beyond, which is why the suggestion of PC4400 from flapper.

Flapper has this thing about 300 at 1:1, but other than that, I believe that he is quite a sane guy.:)

The goal shouldn't be loose and high speed memory but to run them agresively.

Like people have said, for a P4 high speed is more important than low latency. It's generally the opposite on AMD platforms, FYI. Timings make more of a difference for AMDs. I'd say go with PC4000 or above, as recommended.

Reefa_Madness said:
Like flapper said, you need much faster ram than PC3700 to be able to fully O/C your 2.4. They are known to easily go past 250 fsb (PC4000) and beyond, which is why the suggestion of PC4400 from flapper.

Flapper has this thing about 300 at 1:1, but other than that, I believe that he is quite a sane guy.:)

lol...

Thanks for the help guys. I'll get the 4000 or 4400. No question that I want the 4400, but it's a little spendy.

Note also that I have not yet purchased it from Memory Depot because they have a new PayPal account for payment, and PayPal won't protect me. Anyone ordered from these guys yet?

Rip

Just wanted to let you know that I ordered the 4400 on Friday and it arrived this morning. I'll get it installed later tonight and will start some OC testing in the next couple of days.

Just wanted to let you know that these guys are legit and ship as promised. Will comment on the memory performance as I work with it.

Rip

Finally got the time to work with this ram. So far it's good. Right now I've peaked out at 260 fsb on my machine. Over 260 starts to get unstable, and at 265 it won't boot. Need to work on some BIOS tuning.

Details:
Asus P4P800
Intel 2.4C
1Gig Shika Xram PC4400
Generic case with Zalman fan/heatsink

Running this with memory timings of 2.5:3:3:5, burst 8. I could probably take this down a little more. Running a DDR voltage at 2.75, vcore at 1.6. Memory is warm, but not hot.

Getting 3125 MHz consistently with a temp of 42C on air with no extra fans.

Will post a more detailed message in the Intel/Asus MB section to get tips on how to get this closer to 300 fsb.

Rip

Back