• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trading 9800Pro with 5900XT. Fast Advise.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TooOneBee

Registered
Presently have an opportunity to trade my 5900XT (stock @ 400/700) with a MediaMax 9800Pro (stock @ 380/680). I still have abt 2 yrs 10 mths of warranty, while the other guy has 1 yr 8 mths left. Since the price difference is ard 80 bucks (for me at least), what is the most worthwhile amt for me to offer him as topup, 40 bucks or more..? (Or.. Should i just keep my current card?)

I have the same question. My 5900XT broke within a week of purchase and I was thinking of exchanging it for a 9800PRO also.

From the benchmarks it seems the 9800PRO is on par, usually faster than the 5900XT, especially when a game heavily uses the vertex shader.

What does everyone else think?

If you haven't flashed your 5900 to 5950U, I would do that, then see what speeds it will do, it should boost your performance a good bit.

Yea, I was thinking of either going thru with the trade or getting a Thermaltake giant 3 vga cooler and flashing it to the 5950U bios. The Tt cooler itself would definitely cost more then wad i would be expected to topup. Any more advise? :confused:

i would just offer him the 5900XT plus $20 to $30 and just say to him my card has longer warranty so its only fair but i wouldnt give him a 5900XT and $40 have u tried to reach 5950 speeds ??

Yeah offer him the 5900 and maybe $25 and tell him yours has a longer warranty. The 9800p should be better unless the guy trades a jacked-up card thats burnt. Make sure you are able to trade back too. I would go with the radeon myself. You should first try to see how high you can overclockand see how high the 9800 will overclock.

Why is he trading it? Is something fishy?
Anyway, yeah the 9800Pro is better straight up but the 5900XT is a wonderfull card. If you want to part with it go and do the trade but try OCing it to 5950 speeds first.

He wants to sell it and i suggested we trade. The deal fell through tho, someone offered him a decent bid for it.

Back