• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Hard drive wont recognize....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TxAMD

Trying to install a maxtor but at boot up the pc doesnt detect hard drive or cd. Should I have both jumpers set to cable select? I have the HD cable going to IDE 1 and cd to IDE2. BIOS wont recognize them either. Any suggestions?

Keep the HD's on the same IDE channel. Use your 2nd IDE channel for the CD - this is better since the CD will not be slowing down your HD's.

Two ways to setup a 2nd HD:

1) set both HD's to Cable Select. Put the Drive with the OS at the end of the cable and the new drive in the middle of the cable - this makes the OS drive the master drive and the other one the slave drive.

2) set the OS drive to Master and set the new drive to slave. Plug when anywhere in the cable (end or middle).

If those are the only IDE devices you have set both jumpers to 'master' if they are on different channels. Check you data cables connection and make sure you didn't accidentally reverse the connection. Sounds stupid, but also make sure you hooked up power cables. Can you hear the hard drive spin up?

I set both to master with the HD at IDE1 and the cd at IDE2 and still cant get it to read. The pc starts up, the floppy reads, then it tries to detect the drives and comes up with none. I went in to bios and still cant get it to find anything. Tried another HD just to see if the one I was using is dead and it didnt work as well. All power is hooked up.

unhooked the cd and the hd got recognized and it booted into windows... now I have to find out how to make the cd work with the hd.

Back