• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

3.2E Prescott "SL7KC"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IceCoolJay

Registered
I purchased one of these today (Made in Costa Rica). Apparently this is D0 Stepping and it says that Vcore is only about 1V on the intel site. On the box it says 1.4V max. I'll let the CPU settle for a couple of days then overclock it to see what this baby does.

That 1.0Vcore on the Intel site must be a typo. Others who received this chip all had 1.4Vmax. on their boxes. What does you particular chip default to? (the lowest Vcore available in BIOS) My (C0) 2.8E defaulted to 1.3875V my (C0) 3.2E defaults to 1.3625V...

My chip defaulted somewhere around 1.3*...I can't remember offhand, and I have no way of telling now since my board won't boot up at stock speeds with auto voltages anymore.

MMM, i havnt installed the CPU yet. I will soon though. Gonna be using an IC7 motherboard and Sp-94 with a 92mm Tornado for cooling. I have a 2.8E that overclocks to 3.6 stable aswell. Hopefully i can hit 3.8 with this chip.

Ok, the 3.2E "SL7KC" is now installed in my rig. Compared to my old 2.8E, there seems to be a slight drop in temps. So far idle temps are about 45C and this should drop a couple more degrees when the AS5 settles in. My old 2.8E idled at 48C. PWM temps are pretty good aswell -- min = 28 C, max = 40C-- . Default voltage for this chip is 1.36 or thereabouts. I dont know why intel stated 1V in their spec sheet.

Sorry about the 1.0v in the s-spec chart. It does indeed appear to be a typo. I was one that was encouraging people to try it. Guess when something sounds too good to be true... beware. Keep us posted on how well it does. Looks like this 3.2E SL7KC is the most readily available D0 stepping, so I'm sure a lot of people are licking their chops waiting to see how well it performs.

What do you think is the max safe voltages these chips can take. Theres some confusion in what voltage this chip takes with the spec sheets saying 1V and other sources saying 1.4V for the Vcore. I'm planning to overclock fairly soon and would like to know whats the max voltage for this chip. I also have a 2.8E(C0 Stepping) overclocked to 3.6Ghz using 1.44V for Vcore. Would the SL7KC follow the same max voltages as the C0 stepping prescotts of about 1.525V?

With watercooling, it depends on mobo cooling mods to the mosfets and case ventilation. Seems like mobos start frying at or above 1.6v. So, use common sense for long term usage.

Ok, i started overclocking this chip and so far so good. Im currently testing it @ 3.76 Ghz (235 fsb) using STOCK VCORE with prime95. Windows booted @ 240 FSB but it wasnt stable. Temps are alright. CPU load = 57 C and pwm = 39 C. Using an SP-94 for cooling. I have an IC7 so i guess temps might be read higher then what it actually is. Its been about 2 hours now since i started prime95. Gonna prime it for a little longer. I'll post screenies later.

At 235 FSB seems to be prime stable although i only tested it for 5 hours before stopping it. I tested again @ 237 FSB. All was going well until about the hour mark when the computer restarted. Oh well, looks like 235 FSB is a start on default Vcore. I'll leave it at this speed for a couple of days before i start raising the Vcore. I'm hoping for at least 3.9Ghz.

Attachments

• 235.JPG
    235.JPG
    39 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Back