• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is it just me?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ObnoxiousFrog

Registered
It seems as if the windows forums have more "Help me I'm lost..." threads.
All of the linux problem threads are about the installer mis-configuring certain applications or installing the wrong driver. Usually stuff that can be fixed by editing a config file.

Just pointing out the obvious, nevermind me....

Yes it's just you.

Only Kidding. From what I've seen most windows things are indeed "I am lost or how do I do this" and most Linux problems come from messed up conf files(ahem ahem my GRUB conf), wrong drivers or drivers not loading or something. IMO though, in windows once you learn it you realize just how easy it was and never forget again but Linux is a different story (for me at least, but then again I'm a newb).

I usually have no problem with windows as long as I use 3rd party software for as much as I can and turn off as many default services as I can.

I have Winblows so stripped right now it is comical. I use nothing but good solid stable open source software and in the last 2 months have yet to even see 1 spyware flagged on my ad-aware. Stay FAR away from MS apps and all runs pretty well.

chasingapple said:
I have Winblows so stripped right now it is comical. I use nothing but good solid stable open source software and in the last 2 months have yet to even see 1 spyware flagged on my ad-aware. Stay FAR away from MS apps and all runs pretty well.

What is your commit charge?

From what I've seen, 95% of the threads in this forum relate to Linux. Normally it's not really anything advanced either. Someone will ask what distro is best for them, everyone will reply with Mandrake or Fedora. Then someone will start a post about configuring their network card/modem/internet connection to work with Linux. There are normally some soundcard or videocard posts aswell. It's pretty rare for something new/challenging to be posted here.

Back