• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which PSU to use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TooOneBee

Registered
Thinking of purchasing this Raidmax casing within the next few days. The case comes with a 400w PSU (even tho it states 420w on the webby) and i am presently using an Antec SmartPower 350w. My question is, which PSU should i use? (Prob keep the other as a backup) My current volts are as follows:

Vcore: 1.75v
Vdimm: 2.8v
Chipset Voltage: 1.7v
AGP: 1.5v (stock)

According to ABIT EQ, my +12v is always ard 11.67, +5v at 4.92, and +3.3v at 3.26. From here, what would u guys do? Cont using the Antec or change to the case PSU? (What brand is it btw?)

Your 12V Rail looks a little low. I wouldn't recommend either PSU personally. I would try to get a PSU with at least 24 Amps on the 12V Rail especially if you plan to OC. You can get a Sparkle or Fortron for cheap that will outperform both those units. Maybe you can find a case without a PSU and with the money you save buy a decent PSU.

Use the Antec. It may limit overclocking somewhat, but not as much as the Raidmax unit will. I have a SL350 - it's a decent enough unit, and performs about as well as a Fortron 300w. I also strongly suggest using a multimeter for voltages - software readings are almost always off.

I disagree with the need for a big 12v rail on this system... unless your system is a heavily overclocked P4, any decent PSU with a 12v around 18a or so should run things fine. However, if you do upgrade the PSU for overclocking, I too suggest Fortron 400w or better.

The Antec smart power has 28A on the 12v rails according to the sticky. :confused:

OK I'd use the Antec till i save enough for a new PSU. From this forum, everyone uses either a Fortron or Enermax, but i can't find it locally. Between these brands, which is best for oc'ing?

Aerocool, Antec, Blackcube, Enlight, FSP, HEC, I-Cute, Raidmax, Skyhawk, Tagan, Thermaltake, Topower.

TIA :D

TooOneBee said:
Between these brands, which is best for oc'ing?

Aerocool, Antec, Blackcube, Enlight, FSP, HEC, I-Cute, Raidmax, Skyhawk, Tagan, Thermaltake, Topower.

TIA :D

FSP - Fortron Source Power ;)

Followed by Antec/Blackcube (both CWT made), Aerocool/Tagan/Topower (Topower makes them all), HEC, and Thermaltake in that order.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
FSP - Fortron Source Power ;)

:eh?:

Didn't noe that. There's only a 300w FSP, and it costs $29..

Again, comparing this 300w FSP to my Antec SP 350w, the antec wins hands down rite..?

They're actually about the same with the edge to the Fortron. Not sure what Blackcube's lineup is like, but being Channel Well in origin I'd look for values of 430w, 480w, and 550w. These should correspond to the Antec Truepowers, and may be cheaper.

Back