• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't Even get 400mhz FSB??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ap673

Ok you can check out my sig to see my specs. I have all the hardware to get me at and beyond 400mhz. I am very confused why I can't even get 400mhz, i'm at 333mhz right now :confused: . I have ran Memtest at 333mhz without any errors...and i've even done the L12 mod with a strand of wire from an old IDE cable exactly like this pic http://www.logan.eclipse.co.uk/images/NF7 166fsb.gif.

I'm still really confused. So far this is all the stuff so far that i've collected as some evidence. The SPD timings for the OCZ PC3200EB was 2-3-3-7 which is not right. When I did memtest, it showed the L2 cache as unknown. Windows XP, BIOS and CPU-Z says the Specification of the CPU is Uknown CPU Typ. I also am still using the stock BIOS of 23 (nVidia-nforce-6A613A1BC-23), which should atleast get me 400mhz FSB. I'm using a freshly installed Windows XP Pro with all the drivers installed, but no Windows Update yet. Another weird thing is that I have multi's as high as 22. Does anyone know the problem?!?

Last edited:
Well I put my old 1x512 of BH-6 and it runs at 200mhz 2-2-2-11 stable. So i'm guessing the ram is bad? Can ram be bad and still pass Memtest? By the way can anyone confirm if I did the right L12 mod? Is it suppose to say Unknown CPU Typ? And how come when I booted up it wasn't at 166mhz at default, but instead 100mhz. Isnt the L12 mod suppose to force 166mhz?

First of all, yes the mobile Barton's show up as "unknown cpu". For the L12 mod, did you pick the "load optmized settings", and then reboot saving changes? You have to do this to "enable" the L12 mod(I don't know the correct term, but you have to do that first). Also, regardding memtest how long did you test it? I've had memtest fail after many hours.

I tested it for about 30min at 333mhz. But if it won't even post at 400mhz, that means something's wrong.

I'm a little unclear about the L12 mod, I thought you just do the wiretrick, and it automatically boots at 166mhz. If you can figure out wat I hafta do exactly, it would mean a lot. Thanks.

I was able to get 10.5 x 215 with an XP2400. & gereatric 3200... er... genaric :D

ran the best at 3 -4-4-9 D_21 bios.

drop ur multiplier !!!! start it at 8 then go for the FSB.

let us know.
:cool:

ap673 said:
I tested it for about 30min at 333mhz. But if it won't even post at 400mhz, that means something's wrong.

I'm a little unclear about the L12 mod, I thought you just do the wiretrick, and it automatically boots at 166mhz. If you can figure out wat I hafta do exactly, it would mean a lot. Thanks.

Yes, it is the wire trick but there's one more step. After you turn on the computer, go into the bios and pick the option wtih optimized settings. It'll ask you if you're sure, click yes. As of now, you won't see any changes. Now reboot (save and exit, F10) and when it posts you should see the difference in cpu speeds. For mine at default, it read 600mhz(600x10 because it's unknown). Now if I pick load optimized it shows 1000mhz.

ur absolutly right...haha. I did the load optimized settings and it booted at 6x166. So I guess the L12 mod is working. As for the PC3200EB, im ganna talk with OCZ.

Is it true that with Abit's D24 bios you max out at 220mhz? Which BIOS is the best/most stable for going over 220mhz?

I found that the Trat's D24 with CPC off let me gain 10+ fsb, but it cost my bandwidth. How so? My old bios running 220fsb @ 2-2-2-11 gave me the same scores with Trat's 230fsb @ 2-2-2-11. This is expected of course; there's a lot of discussion about this. I've since flashed to another D24 that does not have cpc disabled.

I personally had problems with the modded D10 bios'. They DID gain me higher fsb and thus higher bandwidth, but there were times when I couldn't access the bios menu. I still have not seen others complain about this so maybe it's just me, but my board can't handle the D10.

Ya I'd rather stick with Abit's ****ty D24 BIOS for stability, even if it means 220mhz.

What does CPC mean? Does that have to do with CPU Interface?

Also, what is FSB Spectrum for? (50%/100%/disabled)

I've heard set FSB, andCPU thermal Throttling disabled. Keep CPU interface enabled. I'm still kinda confused about the AGP Apeture Size though, some say it's half of system memory and some say keep it at 64mb?

AGP Aperture is almost like a page file for AGP memory. If you run out, it tries using it. For some reason it seems to try to use it even when not necessary, so having it set to high levels hurts performance. 64mb always works the best for me.

I think you should contact OCZ about your memory. It sort of sounds like it may need an RMA. You could just pm Seanomatic from here.

I recently got a 512MB stick of OCZ PC3200 enhanced latency series (rated at 2-3-2-6) and am running it single channel in my new machine. It detected at those timings, but wouldn't even get past the post at 200mhz with those timings. My NF7-S even overvolts vdimm slightly. Minor voltage increases didn't help. 2-3-3 got past post, but wasn't stable. P95 tests that use memory errored right away, and it was terrible trying to install windows, even at lower FSB. 2.5-3-3 works perfectly at stock voltage and 200mhz. Basically, it's extremely sensitive to tight timings. 2.5-3-2 was a no go too. 2.5-3-3-11 was good enough for me to not bother with it, even though I was disappointed.

You might try relaxing your timings...see if it works then.

John G

It seems like nf2 boards have problems with running 2x512 sticks in dual-channel. It hasta do something with CPC. Does anyone have a link to a reliable, stable modded BIOS with CPC disabled?

Back