• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Abit NF7 fan header limit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ocmpg

Registered
I'm considering rigging a NMB 92mm 55CFM fan on my thermal right sk-7. Currently I use a Panaflo U1A 46CFM which rates at .27A. The NMB rates at .43A and I'm trying to find out if the NF7 can handle that.

Current system:
Abit NF7 Rev2
Athlon XP 1700 @ 200x11 1.60v
Thermalright SK-7 lapped AS5
CPU 34 / MB 25 Idle
CPU 44 / MB 28 Load
1G mixed Corsair/OCZ PC 3200 2-3-3-6
Antec 400W PSU
Antec Lanboy
MAxtor 120 / Quantun Fireball 40

TIA

Last edited:
Can't say for sure what the limit of the board fan headers
are. But it is generally accepted that powering the fan directly
from the PSU instead is preferable. My old Abit KG7 had a random
shutdown problem until I powered the CPU fan directly from the
PSU 4pin header (molex) instead of the board header.

With one of these little babies you can power your fan and still have RPM
monitoring. ... only 99 cents! :)

* 3-pin to 4-pin Adapter with separate RPM connector *

Hope that helps. :)

Well, .43A * 12V gives us apprx. 5.2Watts... which is over the maximum suggested wattage for most mobo headers (3W). I would just power it off you PSU, it's better than having sparks shoot out of your mobo ;)

Knowing how NMB fans are, without even looking at the wattage, and given that it is 92mm, I can say right now that it is not safe, or perhaps not recommended, for you to hook it up to your mobo header.

Thanks for the concensus. Molex it is. I'm not actually confident that I'll see anything but the smallest improvment but I'd like to try.

I'm not sure either, the U1A is a nice fan... it works just as well as the Delta HHE at cooling Thermalrights, so I don't know if you'll get a temp drop. If not, as long as you keep the packaging looking nice and don't ding up the fan, you can just return it to the store.

I suspect you have the 80mm version of the Panaflo U1A..
Fan specs:
Model: FBA08A12U
Air Flow: 47 CFM
Fan Speed: 3400 RPM
Noise Level: 38 dBA
Power: 3.24 watt
Bearing Type: Hydro Wave Bearing
Fan Size: 80x80x25 MM

Panaflo H1B 92x92x25mm case fan
Product Specification:

DIMENSION: 92 x 92 x 25mm
VOLTAGE: 12VDC
CURRENT: 0.29A
SPEED: 2850 RPM
AIR FLOW: 56.8 CFM
NOISE: 35.0 dBA
MODEL: FBA09A12H

CLICK HERE

These are NMB's that I salvaged out of an old HP server so no loss one way or the other. Unless I were to burn up a fan header.

Also got a Delta 120 but I have no particular use for that at the moment but man, it's huge.

I like that 92mm Panaflo. Well worth the price. Thanks for that link.

ocmpg said:
These are NMB's that I salvaged out of an old HP server so no loss one way or the other. Unless I were to burn up a fan header.

Also got a Delta 120 but I have no particular use for that at the moment but man, it's huge.

I like that 92mm Panaflo. Well worth the price. Thanks for that link.

unless you've modded it i imagine that going to a 92mm might be a bad move...as the motor is bigger so a lot of the airflow'd miss the HS.....

a 38mm fan (on a rheobus) might be better.....

'course since its free you can always go back....

a 38mm fan (on a rheobus) might be better

You mean a 38mm thick fan like a Delta or a Tornado... or an actual 38mm fan? I don't think they make a 38mm fan, so I'll assume you're talking about thickness. What you can do to get around the dead spot created by the 92's is to make a spacer/duct between the HS and the fan... make it the height of a 25 or 38mm thick fan so the clips from the HS will still hold the fan on.

Thanks!

I have read the sticky and it gave me some ideas regarding this problem.
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=311373
summary: Aluminum case running hotter than steel case.
Particularly in regards to creating positive airflow by adding a large front fan.

I first adapted the NMB to the front intake but it was ugly loud. It's too close to the case grill and I'll need to dremel it out. So I thought I'd try more CFM's directly on the HS BUT I also figure that unless I can stand the fan off of the HS to some degree, as pauldenton mentions, it'll be all deadspot and no sweet spot.

All in all I'm not losing sleep over this. I just want to shave a few extra degree especially since I was getting such great temps in a steel case.

Also I get generally the same temps whether I run my 1700+ or my 3000+ at 3200+ speeds. Of course, I want more

Essentially I'm trying to lower the temps (sub 40 under load) by finding the right airflow for this case without adding too many fans. This forum rock because there's tons of ideas and methods here. Thanks for all the input.

make a spacer/duct between the HS and the fan

What's a good material/method for this? Thing is the SK-7 accepts up to an 80mm fan but has clips for a 25mm or 38mm fan and the 38mm clip could probably stretch to accomodate the 92mm.

One thought was to utilize the HS holes in the NF7 to rig something that could suspend over the HS.

Last edited:
Do you have the newest BIOS flash for your NF7? My brother's NF7-S temperature reading changes by 7°C depending on whether he's using a current BIOS or not. Just thought I'd bring that up :)

Have you tried seeing what you're temps drop to when you remove the side panel from your case? You might consider a side panel fan like pauldenton, it might drop your temps a few degrees. BTW, removing case grills does lower the case temps for some people depending on how restrictive their grills were, so it's highly recommended that you do that. It also helps to reduce noise, which it what it got when I removed mine.... I don't mind, noise reduction is just as nice as temp reduction. Here's a pic of the front of my case if you want to see some airflow mods. Arch suggested it to my brother and I... you've probably seen it on his case :D

Well, photobucket's server is being worked on, so I'll have to wait to put that pic in.

With the side off and the case on it's side, yeah, it's extra cool. But I like em standing up. I've considered a side blow hole. I got one on my steel case and it made a big difference. I'm just not ready to cut this case up too much. The front fan grill has to go though.

I haven't flashed to the latest bios yet either but I'll give it a try. Thanks!

ocmpg, Make a test panel out of corrugated cardboard to test the side fan setup..Cut to duplicate your side panel and mount the fan or fans and tape the test panel to your case...See if it helps before you cut..:)

This was a really great idea. The Lanboy uses push rivets to secure the side window so I just popped them out, traced the window on cardboard, cut it out and cut a test hole for the 92 right in the middle. I just punched holes and used the same push rivets to secure the cardboard AND the fan. I used some light tape around the edges for a tighter fit.

I had to steal the connection from the front fan to try it out but, WOW, idle temps were 33/22. The mobo temp was at almost ambient! Running Aquamark3 brought load temps up to about 43/28. Prime 95 temps went no higher than 38/28 after about an hour. adding the side fan was just slightly louder.

I'm going to cut some more panels so I can try different side fan configs. I want to see what that Delta 120 does. Thanks again for the great idea!

You're welcome..I even put a piece of glass out of a picture frame to look inside while the test panel was on..I made a full panel duplicate..:)

Back