• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice/suggestion with my future WC setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nartac

I'm total newbie with wc and was going to get a Koolance PC2-650BU case until I went to this forum and read more about wc. From what I read for hours today, Koolance is not going to give me best performance and all of you are recommending DIY system. With the Koolance system, I would be spending may be close to $300 (with cpu and chipset waterblocks included). Anyway, I have put together items that I would like to get and see what you guys think. I would very much appreciate any suggestions or comments.

-White water CPU waterblock
-Danger Den Maze 4 chipset block for Intel chipset (IC7-Max3 board)
-Black Ice Pro II dual 120mm fans
-Panaflo 120mm fans X2
-Via Aqua 1300 with reservoir attached as inline

All these items added up to be a little less than $230 without shipping charges.

Anyway, here are couple of questions:
1) would I benefit from having a rad with dual fans or having a rad with one 120mm fan is enough?
2)anyone with the DD Maze 4 with same board and have any problem installing it? (it has hooks)
3)what do you guys think of the Via Aqua with inline reservoir?
4)what do you use to make the wc system to turn on/off as the computer is turned on/off?

Get a swiftech MPC-600 pump. It's a great pump and it turns on and off with the computer. You should get the Black Ice Extreem II radiator instead of the Pro. When it comes to fans on the rad's many have reported that two fans on either side of the rad give an increase in performance. That would mean putting 4 fans on a dual 120mm rad like the Black Ice Pro II or the Black Ice Extreem II.

And btw, welcome to the forum :beer:

I also notice so my hype about heater cores and noticed DangerDen has the heater cores for sale. How are these perform compared to the Black Ice Extreme II? The heater core is like half the price of the Black Ice.

Any further suggestions? I do have another question. Swiftech MPC-600 pump will draw power from my PSU (which is an Enermax 550W), would I be better off in getting a pump like a Hydor L30 plus a relay so that it will draw it's own power from power cord instead of from the psu?

nartac said:
I also notice so my hype about heater cores and noticed DangerDen has the heater cores for sale. How are these perform compared to the Black Ice Extreme II? The heater core is like half the price of the Black Ice.

Heatercores are less restricive than the radiators by Black Ice. If you have the room for a chevette heatercore (or even a single pass one) I'd suggest that over any black ice product any day of the week.

Back