• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2.8e running @ 56C....GOOD OR BAD??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

montiac

I am new to the Intel scene having always run AMD rigs and I am having some concerns with the 2.8e that I just bought. Right out of the box it idle at 54-56 degrees C ?? Is this normal. I have read so many different things that I am not sure what is right. All I know is that it runs very good!! I also have it in an Albatron 865PEProII board and cannot even raise the FSB 5Mhz to test an overclock. It will not post. I also cannot find a way to change the multiplier. I tried messing with RAM timing but had to clear the CMOS!! I have sufficient power and cooling so I know its not anything like that but I must be missing something??
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

that temp looks a bit high. I dont have a prescott but I heard they do run a bit warmer then the older P4s... but still 56C is pushing it. What cooling do you have? Stock?

Yeah, that sounds a little too high for default speed. Something is wrong. Maybe pull the heatsink off and reapply thermal paste and reinstall it. You need good cooling with the Prescotts.

montiac, Depending on the airflow in your case you will post these temps. My 2.8 when first installed posted idle temps of 60C and over 70C under a load.

If you are going to cool a prescott with air and intend on overclocking you will need to make mods to your case to cool it

I made one simple mod(see my signature) were I added a duct to my sidecover and a fan was mounted inside this duct just for good measure. This one mod alone has lowered my temps to 42c at idle and 55C under an extreme load (only 48C when gaming). This temps are recorded with the stock HSF at an overclock of 3.6 which I would not think of attempting before the mod

As far as raising your FSB have you tried
1- Locking your AGP/PCI bus to 66/33?
2- Changing your memory divider to 5/4?

Dave

Thanks for the info guys- I re-applied some Arctic Silver and re-installed the heatsink and fan and the idle temp dropped a few degrees. During an all night Far Cry session I was really worried about the temps so I punked out and sent the Prescott 2.8E back to Newegg and ordered a Northwood 3.0C. Even though the cache size is a little smaller it seems like that more people recommend those over the Prescott. Should be here Monday and I hope to get some cooler temps out of it. As far as case temp- I am running at 27 degrees C with an Antec aluminum case so I don't think that will be an issue. As far as Overclocking maybe this will be a better processor for that being that I don't have watercooling or anything extreme. Thanks again for the info...

well my 3.2 p4c is at 3.6Ghz with standard voltage with ran timing at 3-4-4-8 (which i think is a little slack but it is prime stable with load temps at 50°c and idles at 37°c so i think you wll see a increase in performance anyway

Phil

Ok, first I might add that if that is the CPU Core's diode, your temps are fine. The maximum continuouse operating temperature supplied by Intel for the Pentium 4 is between 70-80°C.

I get 78°C under load. On the core of my Athlon XP. I get a reading in the 40's for the socket temperature.

Here is what I did to lower my temperatures:
  • Made a duct out of poster board to bring in outside air right to the heatsink fan
  • Have massive airflow inside and around the case to disperse the heat out of the area. (Variouse fans pointed and ductaped to things to get airflow going, both sides off and a boxfan blowing through)
  • Lapped the heatsink. (Sanding the bottom of it on a glass or other flat surface to 1000 grit [can be found at an auto parts store]. This made it flat and decreased temperatures) PM me for details.
  • Did THIS: Having 1 fan on the heatsink is good, what about 2? <<<<thats a link BTW.

to ram twice the amount of air into the heatsink and lower temperatures.
I managed to get my 78°C Load temperature down to 61°C. I am considering buying a new heatsink and fan, or going to watercooling at this point.

Good luck on your temperature reducing quest!
-0cer
:cool:

I might add that if that is your Socket temperature that is a little on the high side but you never know becuase socket temperatures vary. Always read the CPU diode.

Back