• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My thermal probe

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDizzle

I put the thermal probe from my Superflower Fanmaster on my CPU and wanted to know if this will hurt anything. The wire is on a few transistors and othe things that are on the surface of the CPU. Anyone have any experience?

DSC02842.jpg

And if anyone is interested here's what my computer looks like so far.

DSC02870.jpg

Those big things are capacitors, not transisitors :) As long as the probe is not interfering with the HSF, it should be fine. Ie: don't put it on top of the die or where the combined height of probe + whatever it's on is higher than the die.

I'm going to leave the probe right there on the edge of the die. Thanks for the information and the correction.

I dunno, I fried an XP2200 in about 2 seconds like that, and no, it wasn't on top the die, or bridges, or holding the heatsink up. Question is, do you feel lucky?

Beats the heck outa me, I just know I am not going to try it again. I use that probe on the vid card.

IMO I would run the probe along the side of the core. To make the probe have more contact with the core itself.

Back