• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Case Fan / Heatsink Fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bicster

Registered
Can you put a case fan on a heatsink? Are they the same things? Sorry. I'm a real newb. :eh?:

Edit:
thanks acid!

Last edited:
Well, most case fans are 80mm. 70's are hard to find. Maybe you can get an Slk heatsink, they support 60, 80 and 92mm fans.

im not sure how to put on new heatsinks and stuff.. and can I just get a bigger one? it doesnt look like it have enough room.

What you should do is to measure the HS that you're looking at and then cut out a square of cardboard that's the same size and then see if it clears the PSU. After you figure out if a larger one will fit, then do a search and see if anyone has asked the same question before you post a thread on it.

If you want to put a case fan on your HS, be advised that you won't get the same temps that you'd get if you used a fan that was specifically made for cooling HS's. It'll still work fine for cooling the HS, but it won't cool as well.

If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me.. just click on my name and select "send a PM".

BTW, Welcome to the Forums!!!

Before you buy a new heatsink, you can go to the manufacturer's website and check the product information for motherboard compatibility. That should tell you if it will fit or not. :)

You have to check for whether the HS will fit in the case,though, especially if you have a micro-ATX case. Even some of the Lian-li ATX cases have trouble fitting the Thermalright HS's, so it's better to check before you buy. The mobo manu. will tell you if it'll fit your mobo without hitting any capacitors...etc.

Back