• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best card for about $80

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vitalix

Registered
Hey guys and gals,

I am looking for a video card for around $80 or so for a new system for the wife. It will be principally used for Photoshop and standard internet fare, but I'd like it to have some 3d acceleration b/c once in a while she plays games.

I won't be needing FarCry at max settings, but ability to play FarCry, without bells and whistles, would be nice.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance as usual!

GeForce4 Ti4200
Radeon 9550
Radeon 9600 (Don't get a 9600SE)

You didn't say in which country you lived but check out those three cards. 9600s will be a little more, but you get what you pay for...

ATI 9500 if you can find one. Its got 8 pipes and should perform better than the 9600's. The 9700pro's are super for the price, but they are around $120 or so which is out of the $80 range. The Ti4200 is right in there and has good speed, but no dx 9 support. It can play farcry but it reverts to dx 8 and less eye candy. Everything dx 8 it kicks anus at.

Back