• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need advice on new grafix card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sentential

Contributing Member
I got 2 options

#1 Wait for an x800XT Plat Ed @ $479, which could be anywhere from 2 - 4 weeks

#2 Buy a 6800GT for $395 from ZZF and have it by FRI.

Im starting to lean towards the 6800GT simply because its almost $100 cheaper than the PE, and is almost equal in performance. Plus I can get it now.

All fanyboy remarks aside, what would you do? I have the cash but I really dont wanna spend $500 on a toy.

With my expertise, i think I can match a PE, since I would overkill cool the GT. Plus I wanna try something different for a change.

All I wanna know is this a bad idea? :eh?:

I would get the gt. In fact, I'm getting a gt as soon as I sell my comp. I'm gonna be water cooling it, so I expect to get a pretty damn good overclock.

termin@tor said:
I would get the gt. In fact, I'm getting a gt as soon as I sell my comp. I'm gonna be water cooling it, so I expect to get a pretty damn good overclock.
you shouldn't expect too much, without a Vmod at least

I'd probably get the 6800gt. Looks like you've got the Radeon right now and it's always nice to have a bit of variety in your life. However there is a bit better performance with the x800xt. However you might get that upgrade path to an SLI setupdown the road.

Still, at this moment it does look like 6 of one and a half dozen of the other.

Too late.... just ordered my 6800GT from Sparco.com for $335 :burn:. I cant deny that kinda deal.

HELLO 6800GT!

EDIT <Naturally for some odd reason I cant change my sig to reflect this :temper:.....Stupid "Your sig can be no longer that "0" characters"> :temper:

nah, - you should of bought a x800PRO used from someone with a custom VGA silencer (since the new ones werent out) and one that can hit a 600 core with a volt mod - not stable - but can certainly try to make it stable..lol or 540 easy on air :D

He got it for 335, with a full warranty (that will be voided) and he doesn't have to deal with all the problems that come with used cards. I think he made a very good decision.

Is there really a big difference between the graphics in a 6800gt to a TI4200. Is it worth the upgrade?

grusso7 said:
Is there really a big difference between the graphics in a 6800gt to a TI4200. Is it worth the upgrade?

uhm.... YES. Look at the specs for one... DX8 to DX9... so many things, would be a huge upgrade.

EDIT: Sentential, congrats on that awesome deal and g'luck w/ OCing that bad boy.

I mean is really a huge leap forward that I will be able to see photorealistic graphics on games kinda like the ones you see on movies like monsters inc or hulk?

Ummmm ya d00d. Trust me. You will not be disappointed.

And thnx. This will be intersting. After my last bout with nV I cannot belive I just did this. Oh well. On another note the PNY version (one Im gettin) has the Ultra PCB, with 2 molex connecters :clap: .

Needless to say Pow3r shouldnt be an issue. Now all i gotta do is play the waiting game. It ships out on the 26th. Not bad for saving $130. My 9800PRO will last long enough to tide me over lol.

Ti4200.
DX8. 8 pipes. 128-bit interface. Performance Killing AA/AF. PS 1.4 & VS 1.3?

6800GT.
DX9. 16 pipes. 256-bit interface. Highly impressive AA/AF levels. PS3 & VS2? Onboard media encoder/decoder.

It will be quite the step up in performance & visual quality/effects. :)

Photorealistic? That's still a good portion of time away for real-time photorealistic images like Hulk/Monster Zinc (I know...). :D

Thanks SImGuy,
I remember that when I upgraded mydiamond card with 2mb or ram to my intel 1x AGP with 8 meg of ram I really thought that the industry has taken a leap forward on video graphics, then again almost 2 years ago when I got my ti4200 I found another huge advanced in graphics very realistic graphics and reflections nice scenary specially when playing falcon 4.0 etc. So for what you said about the images not being photorealistic in my case it will be wise to wait a couple of years before an upgrade since I will not notice a huge leap forward as I'm used to.

Back