• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

abit bx6 2 high bus speeds/ pentium recomendation

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ebola

Senior Toilet Scrubber
ok as many of you know I have a abit bx6 2 motherboard with a celleron 566@954. I have been planning on getting a pentium 3 chip for awhile and i will probably buy one next month.

so the big decision is whether to get a p3 800e or 850e.

daniel already told me to go with the 800e because it supposedly is a better overclocker.

the problem is the bx6 2 motherboard gets extremely hot at memory speeds exceeding 100mhz. right now my fsb is 112. I know my memory can do up to 117 but I dont know if it can do the next speed of 124. its pc100 memory. the closest i've had to 124 fsb is when i was able to post with my celly at 1054 but it didnt make it past that.

if it cant do 124 with a p3 800e then i think the better choice would be to get a p3 850e and set the fsb to 112.

any ideas. should i go for the 800 and hope for the best or should i go with the 850 and take a mild overclock.

My PIII 750 would only do FSB 117 on that board with PC100 cas3 ram.
When I bought a stick of 256 Crucial PC133 Cas2 I was able to move it up to 124 AND lower the voltage (low temps). I could also get it to post at 133MHz then, but it was not stable.
I loved that motherboard and would not of sold it except I bought some new hard drives and wanted Raid ATA100

IS thier any way to know if your mem will do 124 FSB?
and do you think thier is a chance you will be able to to 133?
got a friend that will let you test stuff?

if you think you can do 133 FSB go with the 800
if you dont think you will get past that the 850 would be better
and since you think that 112 FSB may be your limit you would be playing it safe to go with the 850... few more MHz at that FSB.

Actually, Iwould say go buy a stick of good quality PC133 Cas2 ram. It is so cheap right now and your system will run faster at Cas2 no matter what processor you get.
Then try to overclock the cpu you have now, if it will go higher then that will give you more options.
If I had it to do over again I would buy a guaranteed 700 overclocker. I just lucked out on this one and bought it used on ebay that said it would do 933. It did on my old BX6 rev2 only after I bought new ram.

i have 768 megs of pc 100 ram in my machine right now. its kind of hard to replace that much ram when you on a bit of a budget.

I think I'll probably go with the 850 dispite it not being as good of an overclocking chip.

Is the BX6 2 able to handle anything over P3 700?

I too own a BX6(taken from a garage sale) and the only BIOS upgrade I can find for it, will only support up to P3 700 and Cel2 600.

Can you send me the link/info for the BIOS upgrade you used for your board?

DB

yea it will support up to an 850e. the bios has the 8.5 multiplier. its not officially noted on abits site though. I had a celly 466 in it when the bios only supported up to 433. basically all of the p3e's up to 850 work.

if you have the qr bios which is the newest one. then it only list processors up to 700 but you just go into custom setting and select the 8.5 multiplier and the bus speed you want. since its an e chip you select 100 fsb for default.

Back