• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual SCSI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

n24tg

Registered
i stumbled upon an old computer with two scsi cards and two drives. the scsi cord got taken out, but now i want to know how to hook it all back up. there were two cards, one cord, two drives, and this little thingy attacked to the end of the cord. i know i have to connect both drives to the cable, but do i have to connect the cord to both cards? if i did connect it to both cards, would it possibly be in raid? ill post pics if yall really need them.

Welcome to the forums!

Most of this is in the Sticky, but here are a couple of items. The internal drives will be hooked with the single cable to one of the cards. The thingy is terminator and will go at the end away from the controller with the drives on the middle connectors. The second card most likely controlled an external device. Connecting both cards to a cable is a bad idea. Hardware RAID is supported by controllers that are specifically designed for the purpose on SCSI. I think that covers the high points.

Which equipment do you have and I can try to estimate the performance level for you. Older SCSI can be depressingly slow sometimes.

AAA-131U2 with two 10000rpm 9.1 gig drives =D. i think im gonna forget it and go with this old 20 gig 5400rpm ide. this is stuff i scrounged on this old dual P2 server.

I'd probably use the controller and drives on the box. The controller is supposed to support the 80MB/s interface and also support RAIDs 0,1, 0/1 and 5. This will not be fast, but a RAID-1 array will not degrade performance too badly, is redundant and will likely be faster than the PIO or ATA33 controller on the board.

i cant figure out how to make windows recognize the controller because it doesnt like the drivers and stuff i give it, so im just gonna trade it for a tnt2 and give those problems to someone else. thanks for the support.

Back