• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

So i got to 2.2 Ghz, then auto shutdown?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rsjrv99

Registered
So i finally got my Pentium 4 2A Ghz up to 2 Ghz through raising the voltage. Thought all was well, my temps were at 35 C. So then i decided to go to see what the temerature was at full load. So i loaded up UT2004 and played a game of Onslaught for about 10 minutes. At this tim my temps were at 43 C, not too bad. But then my computer restarted out of the blue. Could this be due to ABits OC protection? If temps reach too high it shuts down, but 43 C isn't that high. My VCore was running at 1.6 V so it wasn't unstable. What could have gone wrong to make my computer restart? I need to fix this before i get Doom 3.

it means your oc isn't stable. Run a program called prime95 and see what errors you get. I'm not familar with Intel systems so someone else will have to help you with getting the oc stable.

I've used lots of Abit mobo models for years and have never heard of OC protection. Maybe you mean the Intel thermal throttling if the CPU gets hotter than 65 degrees?

Anyway, my first thought would be you haven't locked the PCI/AGP to default 33/66 MHz. My second thought was you can't lock VIA chipsets, but I looked up a review and noticed that the VT7 uses the new VIA 880 chipset that finally does have a PCI/AGP lock. That's the first thing to do.

batboy said:
I've used lots of Abit mobo models for years and have never heard of OC protection. Maybe you mean the Intel thermal throttling if the CPU gets hotter than 65 degrees?

Anyway, my first thought would be you haven't locked the PCI/AGP to default 33/66 MHz. My second thought was you can't lock VIA chipsets, but I looked up a review and noticed that the VT7 uses the new VIA 880 chipset that finally does have a PCI/AGP lock. That's the first thing to do.

I have not figured out how to lock it yet. Is there a place i can look?

Its an option? Well, they may of made it comlicated like the voltages putting like +50mV. I do a quick google and get back to you on it.

EDIT:

I read TweakTowns review on the VT7 and its OC'ing functions. IT does have PCI/AGP lock. But when i go to set it to lock or as its shown in the BIOS 3:2:1, even though it should be locked, it isn't. Whenever i go higher it changes and i cant stop it. I am changing the correct option, its jsut not locking.

EDIT2:

What is an unsafe temp for my CPU to reach?

Last edited:
Try cycling through all the choices and see if there is a "fix" setting. Look above or below that setting and see if there is something that changes the PCI from auto to fix or lock. Load temps should be fine up to the mid 50's.

I already checked, there is no "Fix" option. I'm gonna post this problem on the ABit forums.

Back