• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are good temperatures

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lefty24

Registered
Can someone tell me what are the maximum your pc temperatures should get.

CPU-
MOTHERBOARD-
GPU-
(and any other compenents)

ASUS A7N8X Deulxe 2.0
AMD ATHLON XP 2500+
Zalman CNPS 7000a

(I usually have the processor overclocked to 3200+ or a little higher)

AMD Athlons have a max temp around 97°C from what I've read ( I believe that is on die temp, not what BIOS reads... theres a 20°C (?) diff. between the on-die and BIOS temps, so you actual limit is probably around 80°C or so), so unless your temps are really high, you don't have much to worry about. Now that said, having high temps and overclocking don't mix... you get system instability and crashing when your cpu temps are too high.

Also, Asus boards tend to read temps 5-10°C low, so the temps that you're reading now are lower than your actual cpu temps... so keep that in mind when you oc'ing

Most of us like to keep our temps under 55°C load just for practical oc'ing (that's for P4's, I don't know what the AMD guys consider practical ), and if you're crazy about temps like me, I don't like my cpu temps going over 45°C load... but that's a personal quirk :D

You can lower your temps by cleaning up your cables and cutting out the case fan grills... replace the rear exhaust grills with wire grills if you worry about chopping your fingers off :) .

Here's some pics of my case if you want some idea of what I'm talking about

Pic1

Pic2

Pic3

Pic4

Pic5

Last edited:
Back