• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with the ol 92mm fans in a Chieftec trick.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr. Perfect

Hey all, was browsing around the cooling section here for info on putting 92mm fans in the back of my chieftec case and I was hoping for some clarification. I've seen three diffrent methods mentioned in past threads: straight in install, having to rotate them 10-15 degrees to get them to fit, and having to rivet in a new metal plate in the back and starting fresh.

Could one of you post some pics of how you got your 92s in without the rotateing/metal work before I go blow $30+ dollars on some fans and find they don't "just fit"? :)

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS
Usually when a larger fan replaces a smaller one on a case the hole has to be cut to match the fans size and new mounting holes drilled..Most case fans are 80mm, with a few exceptions..;) As long as you know there is room for the fans to fit, there should be no prob. installing them..I use right cut, green handled aviation tin snips to cut holes in the case.See the Modding Xaser III thread for details..:burn::)

**92 Millimeters equals 3.62205 Inches :thup:

Thanks for the welcome. :bday:

Yep, I know about the fans and what not, and I know people have done it before, but I've never actually seen how they've managed to mount the 92s around the holes alread there from the fan holders and whatnot.

Checking out the whatsit thread. Edit: Ah, I see you remove your fan grills as well. Did mine too, right down to sanding the edges. :)

Last edited:
Hmm..;) The hole needs to be increased in size to do any good..Using a 92mm fan in a 80mm hole will cause turbulence/ noise. :burn:

92mm_Edition-0540.gif

92mm_Edition-006hdd.gif

rear_fans_0002.gif
please don't quote my pic's.:)

Ah, good pics those. Did you have to remove all the metal between the rear 92s to get rid of the smaller 80mm holes or was it just easier to lop the whole thing out? Each fan is only held by two screws then?

It was easier to loop it, and I was at the outer limits of the casewell..;) The 2 screws per fan hold them, just fine..You can see the rivets to the left side and bottom, those were as far out, as I could go..The fans had to touch each other bottom to top, for there to be enough room..This is a Xaser III case..:D
Not one of my better cut jobs, but it will surfice..:burn::) See all 3 pages of pix in the link below, and see the mod's I've made to MOBYDICK.. :drool:

CLICK HERE

Back