• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling a [email protected] need first air cooled rig, need some suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Myhre

I just set up a new rig with my old 3.0C and I need something besides the stock intel cooler. My idle is about 32idle 39full load. I'd like something that will get me arond 26-28 idle and 35-37full load. I'm not sure if air heatsinks can offer better or worse performance than that, because I've used water cooling on every p4 I've ever had....and before that was a PII which didn't even have a fan on the heatsink. I'm not very much concerned with cost....as long as it's under 80 or so US dollars it's all good. I just need some suggestions because I've been looking at a few and for the most part all of the high end ones don't seem to have a huge performance margin against each other. Thankyou in advance.

you don't need anything besides the stock cooler if you are in the 30s at load. My idle is like 38 and your 3.0 can go up to 70C. Worry about temps when you crack 55-60 is my advice.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Asus cannot report a correct temp on the cpu to save its butt. It is about 5-8°C on the LOW side. So you are in the 40's. Still nothing to worry about. Consider yourself lucky to have those temps.

www.bleedingedge.com has an article comparing Asus and Abit temps reportings.

squirtle632 said:
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Asus cannot report a correct temp on the cpu to save its butt. It is about 5-8°C on the LOW side. So you are in the 40's. Still nothing to worry about. Consider yourself lucky to have those temps.

www.bleedingedge.com has an article comparing Asus and Abit temps reportings.

I use MBM 5, and if I'm correct it has an offset that gives a good reading.

You might be able to find the SP-94 HS cheaper at other vendors..The fan selection is the best available at this time, IMHO..We can't get the Delta 92mm HHE's or Panaflo 92mm U1A's right now..Tornado's are available, as are the louder Delta's..Be sure to use some good TIM, like AS 5 or AS Ceramique..Jab-tech has the TIM also..Keep your flow up & temps down..:cool:

Back