• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NF7-S SATA and OC'ing?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Permanoob

Is it true that using SATA on the NF7-S and overclocking will corrupt your HDD? I'm reading a couple of places that suggest this and if that's true then why is the NF7-S such a popular overclocker? :-/

Any kind of overclocking can corrupt the HD, PATA or SATA. You're usually ok if you're careful though. The NF7-S has a PCI lock, and I never had any problems with the SATA in particular.

If I already have a UltraATA/100 harddrive is it worth using the SATA converter and making it a SATA harddrive?

My guess would be no as you'd get no performance boost out of it unless you REALLY just want to use your SATA controller.

This is not true.

I have an NF7-S and my windows installation is on a raptor SATA.

I've been overclocked to 2700 mhz from a stock 1.8 ghz chip with zero hd corruption problems.

This is not true.

I have an NF7-S and my windows installation is on a raptor SATA.

I've been overclocked to 2700 mhz from a stock 1.8 ghz chip with zero hd corruption problems.
It may not have happened to YOU, but it's pretty bold to discount that it's happened to anyone based on your personal experience. If you have the evidence to back it up, it might be different.

Myself and others have experienced hard drive corruption as a result of an unstable overclock. Instability means incorrect calculations and flawed memory reads, which results in corrupted data. That data is then written to the hard drive, causing corruption in everything from the registry to filenames, programs, etc. It happens, trust me. It may not have happened to you because your overclock is stable.

johan851 said:
It may not have happened to YOU, but it's pretty bold to discount that it's happened to anyone based on your personal experience. If you have the evidence to back it up, it might be different.

Myself and others have experienced hard drive corruption as a result of an unstable overclock. Instability means incorrect calculations and flawed memory reads, which results in corrupted data. That data is then written to the hard drive, causing corruption in everything from the registry to filenames, programs, etc. It happens, trust me. It may not have happened to you because your overclock is stable.

This happened with the newer bios and newer sata drivers? I always thought they fixed the issues with the corrupt sata drives after a certain revision.

Back