• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Huge Help In Overclocking -PLEASE HELP-

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ex-CON

Registered
I am a bigginer in the overclocking world. I'm asking for a nice step-by-step overclocking quide that would fit my specific configuration (motherboard, CPU etc.).
This help would be really greatlly apprieciated.

I got a:

ATX Full Tower Case w/ 400 watt Power Supply
Asus P3V4X Motherboard w/ Via Apollo 133A Chipset
Intel Pentium III 1Ghz w/ 100mhz
512Mb of PC133 SDRAM (CAS3)
Voodoo5 5500 video card (AGP)
Sound Blaster Live Platinum 5.1
61GB Western Digital Caviar ATA-100
Pioneer 16x PCDVD-ROM

I would also apprieciate any suggestions about this system and about cooling solutions.
Thank You for your help.

Hi Ex-CON, wellcome to the Forum,
Well, the cooling section is the way to gain higher OC, so my suggestion is for a ThermalRight SK6 or the Millenium Glaciator, always with a thin layer of thermal paste, Artic Silver seems to be the best. Never the Cpu temp must go over 40-45 degree C @full load (100% load).
To OverClock your chip, you must rise the Fsb (the System Bus) from the original 100Mhz to 133Mhz or more, and if not stable, rise a little the voltage of the chip, not over the 15% then the rated value.

I hope it helps you ;)

Well, first off what CPU cooler are you currently using? Lots of good coolers that are far better than the Intel fan and heatsink. At least use a good quality thermal paste to begin with. Next try bumping up the FSB a notch. This will be done in the BIOS with a "user define" setting. I would not go too far or increase voltage much until you get better cooling though.

Thnx For the suggetion, but I also heard that it would help out a lot if stuck a heat sink on the mobo's Clock Generator.

For me is needed only a cooler with fan on the North Bridge, and some case fan, but remember, the air that they sucks, must be the same that they blows of the Case.

Well right now I'm only using all of the factory fans. and that factory P3 Heat Sink that comes with the processor.

Could you tell me , how much you its going to ring up for one.
And is noisy or not

Well, the Glaciator is more quiet than the SK6 with the famous and absolutly noisy Delta 38 fan, I remeber someone that sayed noisy fans saves Cpu's :D

What do you mean with 'how much you its going to ring up for one'? how much they costs?

Yea, that's what I meant, but dont worry, I can look it up at discount web sites.

Yeah, the Asus P3V4X is a slot1 MB. Only thing that's I'd need to know, is if the procsessor is a slot1, or a fc-pga chip mounted on a converter card. Cooling, options are very different for the two. I have a P3V4x, with a Cel 800 on a converter card, and my previous CPU was a Cel 400 Slot1, and the heatsinks are completely different. Even the PIII slot1 heat sinks don't fit the older slot1's. So becareful what you buy. Some places don't allow you to return stuff once it's out of the package.

Probably I've made a mistake suggesting the wrong coolers, sorry :rolleyes:
in case of Cpu's slot1 the best ways are GlobalWin vos32, and the Alpha P3125 :)

Back