• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

512 meg video cards..very close....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

devvingiorgio

The Wildcat Realizm 200 boasts a VPU and 512 MB of onboard memory on an AGP 8x-based graphics accelerator. The device is equipped with two, dual-link DVI-I connectors to help drive multiple high-resolution professional displays from a single graphics accelerator, including the dual high-end 9.2 Megapixel displays.

Like the powerful Wildcat Realizm 800, the Wildcat 100 and 200 deliver industry-leading programmability to OpenGL Shading Language and Microsoft DirectX 9.0 HLSL shader programs.
The Wildcat Realizm 800 is slated for availability in the third calendar quarter of this year at an MSRP of $2,799. The Wildcat Realizm 100, with an MSRP of $1,249, and the Wildcat Realizm 200 at $1,599, are slated for availability this August.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anybody know what the estimated timeframe is for the next gen cards from ATI/Nvidia ? like the R500 ?

I figure if I've waited this long for Doom III, I mys well wait another 6 months or so and experience the game for the first tiem in ULTRA Quality mode, which requires 512 of video ram.

thx

Uh, I'm pretty sure that is a workstation card, i.e. not good for gaming. Either way, I'm sure when they refresh this generation of cards we'll have 512 meg cards out.

It is PCIe exclusive. I don't think it's possible to have two AGP cards on one motherboard. If it is, nobody ever did it.

sigh,

yes I nkow they're WORKSTATION CARDS

My question is when will the next gen 512 GAMING cards from ATI and NVIDIA slated to be released, thank you

and no, I'm not interested in buying TWO Geforce 6800's and SLI'ing them, I'm just looking for an approx. dates of the new R500 and Nvidias next card

Last edited:
looking at the current 256 meg cards, i predict 1 / 1,5 years before 512meg cards are available

Last edited:
what do you mean doom 3 will require 512MB gpu memory? That is crazy. They have even stated that maximum quality settings are possible with 128MB of vpu memory.

dguy6789 said:
what do you mean doom 3 will require 512MB gpu memory? That is crazy. They have even stated that maximum quality settings are possible with 128MB of vpu memory.

no, to run d3 in ultra quaility you need 512mb of video card ram

devvingiorgio said:
sigh,

yes I nkow they're WORKSTATION CARDS

My question is when will the next gen 512 GAMING cards from ATI and NVIDIA slated to be released, thank you

and no, I'm not interested in buying TWO Geforce 6800's and SLI'ing them, I'm just looking for an approx. dates of the new R500 and Nvidias next card

R500 should be avaliable around 1 year from now.

do not expect a refresh from the x800 lines.

mica

Drec said:
no, to run d3 in ultra quaility you need 512mb of video card ram

If the game isn't coded to use more than 128 or 256 megs of video memory, then 512 card would be a waste. If the card doesn't exist, how can they program for it? Unless they have a really HUGE inside deal going with ATI/Nvidia/whoever, to optimize the game for an individual company, who's card has yet to be even spoken of, let alone tapped out. Unless you have some sort of inside information you'd like to share with the rest of the class.

CrystalMethod said:
If the game isn't coded to use more than 128 or 256 megs of video memory, then 512 card would be a waste. If the card doesn't exist, how can they program for it? Unless they have a really HUGE inside deal going with ATI/Nvidia/whoever, to optimize the game for an individual company, who's card has yet to be even spoken of, let alone tapped out. Unless you have some sort of inside information you'd like to share with the rest of the class.

umm dont ***** at me about it, thats what ID said.

to correct this here is a quote from PC gamer not ID

"The difference between a 128mb and 256mb card is that the former uses compressed textures whereas the latter only compresses diffuse and specualr maps. In another words, no big deal. However, a 500mb card is needed to run the game in Ultra Quality mode. "

I think that I remember reading that as well. Anyways, I havent heard anything either on anybody working on a 512mb production gaming card yet. Also, for those of you who are ragging on Drec about it, yes, the manufactures do build cards to help the game developers. They are called preproduction cards and they develop the games on them, and then test and optomize on production cards so that us everyday gamers can enjoy the games.

Workstation cards are designed for OpenGL/CAD/3D Studio Max -- uber quality rendering, programmeable, not necesarilly for pure frame-rate. They're worried about every single detail as they draw out the next F-xx fighter jet -- not how cool their sidewinder looks blowing up Gihad....

-Frank

-=Ambush=- said:
Just get 2 cards is SLI if you want 512Mb.

Is SLI offered for AGP or is it PCI-E exclusive?
Huh ? What're you talking about ? :p

NVIDIA have already stated that the SLI configuration cannot combine memory attributes, only distribute workload equally among both, so even though combined its 512MB of RAM, working together they can only deal with the same size textures as if it were a single 256MB card.

Also, if you remember back to the old days, 2x12MB Voodoo 2's SLI'd did not give you 24MB of usuable RAM.

Back