• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DDR in DDRII slots

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bojangles

I really don't want to buy new ram for my new rig which will have a 925X mobo with 2x240 dimm DDRII slots. I remember reading a review and it saying that DDR will work in the DDRII slots. Will it? Otherwise I will just get an A64.

From what I remember of pics I've seen of DDR+DRRII motherboards, they are keyed different. But, there are some motherboards with both. Maybe thats what you're thinking of.

DDR most certainly won't fit in DDR2 slots. Different pin density and layout entirely.

Some motherboards will have DDR/DDR2 support simultaneously though, but only with Intel chipsets.

bojangles said:
I really don't want to buy new ram for my new rig which will have a 925X mobo with 2x240 dimm DDRII slots. I remember reading a review and it saying that DDR will work in the DDRII slots. Will it? Otherwise I will just get an A64.

get the A64
:thup:

Yes, go for the A64, but I'd wait for more high-end S939-mobos. Socket 754-systems are off IMO, since they only have one memory channel. Whilst the latency is likely to be equally great for S754, the reduced bandwidth will be quite significant in certain situations.

Intel's 9xx series is lame...hold off for another couple of months if you can.
Why buy a 32 bit board/CPU when XP 64 bit edition is right around the corner, and Linux is already taking advantage of it ? :)

Back