• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New card for me...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Zerileous

Well, a few months ago i fried my 9500Pro and have since been using a GFFX 5200 nu, now its time for the pain to stop. The death of my 95 has caused me to be buying my next card ahead of schedule. i can wait a few weeks but i want to buy the card soon and it will take quite a bit of convincing for me to wait for something. Here are my requirements:

Interface: AGP
Price: a little bit over $200 (i might go up to $250 if there is a good deal)
Timeframe: soon

basically i am posting to make sure nothing sliped under my radar that would be a much better deal than my plan. My plan is a 256MB 9800Pro. This card should fit my budget well and perform well. It seems to be the hot ticket.

I am open to suggestions but i would appreciate some explanation as opposed to a post like "get card XXXXX instead its way better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

I would also appreciate any tip offs for good deals.

Thanks.

*EDIT: looking at newegg again, i think i may have to go for the 128MB version, when i glanced through at first, i saw a 9800np w/ 256mb ram listed for $235 in the 9800pro section and thought it was a pro. Oh well, the ram doesnt seem to make that much of a difference now at least.

Last edited:
Well, the only thing I could think of better than a 9800 pro for the price, under $300 is a 6800nu. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-202&depa=1

I'm sure you could find it somewhere for much cheaper. Surprisingly, newegg doesn't have the best deal on the new generation cards.

As for "why it's better than a 9800 pro"

Well, it's a new generation card. It would be a lot faster than a 9800 pro, and it supports DX 9.0c and SM 3.0.

Edit: also, check this out:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=311800

Zerileous said:
*EDIT: looking at newegg again, i think i may have to go for the 128MB version, when i glanced through at first, i saw a 9800np w/ 256mb ram listed for $235 in the 9800pro section and thought it was a pro. Oh well, the ram doesnt seem to make that much of a difference now at least.

Yep, not only is it only a non-pro, but it's also 128 bit memory as well. As the old saying goes, avoid it like the plague. ;)

As for the 6800nu, I'm not really sure if it is worth the additional $90-100 over the 9800 Pro. It is next-gen, but to me, the performance improvement isn't worth the additional $$. If you want a next-gen card, you might as well shell out another $50-100 and buy a 6800GT.

I think that the 9800 Pro would be the best option for you at this point in time, but you also have to ask yourself if you're willing to wait until you have enough $$ (or if you have it, convince yourself to spend it ;) ) and get something on the lines of a 6800GT or a X800 Pro, as these two cards will give a much greater performance boost.

the 6800np is faster but it would be hard to not just get the best if you are buying next generation. I think 9800p is you best option. Saphire is the cheapest on newegg and one of the finest 9800pros. You might be able to score a refurb for 160 though.

ok, thanks for the help. I might convince myself to go for a reletively cheep 6800nu but there is no way in hell im going over $300 so i think the 9800pro is still my best bet. I forgot to add one more requirement too: low power consumption, im running a FSP 350watt right now. While its quality means its alot better than most 350 watters, it is by no means a heavy hitter.
thanks for the help so far guys.

cool. Right now, i am still considering the 256mb version if i find a deal, how much better will that do?

256mb will help with newer games and perhaps next generation games..... for most games out right now.... you probably won't see much difference.

just counted money, once everyone who owes me money pays up i will have $305.00 to spend. This means i could go for the 6800. This card seems to have a decent advantage over the 9800XT and a large advantage over the 9800Pro. I also think it would have some softmod potential. Assuming that I am totally wlling to go for the 6800, why would I go for a 9800Pro.

Back