• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

slk-900u & ti4200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
That's a really freaking huge heatsink for a video card. How do you intend to keep it on the card and how are you going to support the card from the weight of the heatsink. Just looking at my GF4 and my 900a(you'd probably want to get this hs because it has a smaller base, but it depends on what you plan on doing with it), it would probably fit as long as your GF 4 doesn't have any capacitors or anything within the base of the range(you should be ok). It will stick down really far and take up just about any pci room.

Just curious as to why you are doing this, IMO it's quite a bit a overkill. There's plenty of really good video card coolers out there that will be more than sufficient and a lot easier to deal with. If you're doing this just for the experience, then all the luck to you.

just want to do this cause i got this heatsink for real cheap and wanted to try out something new. do you have pictures of your current card? i plan on holding it with some zipties or if that doesn't work, a threaded rod with some knurled nuts. can you give me some suggestions about this? thanks.

Wow, you really have your work cut out for you on this one. Do you plan on having a fan with this or just going for the heatsink? I don't have any pictures of my card, but my bro-in-law has a digital camera and I can see if I can't get him over here with it tomorrow and I'll take some pics for of the GF4.

I've tried something similar, though not nearly as ambitious. I had an old heatsink from a 900mhz Thunderbird that I tried putting on there when the stock fan of the HS died. The thing was pretty light in comparison to todays heatsinks, but I just couldn't get the thing to stay on. I could get it on, but after a week or so it would come off. I tried thermal epoxy with dabs of superglue in the corners for extra hold, but it just wouldn't stay. I then tried a couple rubber bands for extra hold, that gave me about another week, but they'd eventually break too. While it was on, I was able to oc my Ti4200 to almost 4600 speeds(my card was always kind of bunk in that respect compared to so many other Ti4200's out there). Anyway, I'm not a real serious modder, but if I was, I could have probably hacked the heatsink and found ways to make it work. However, with your situation, I don't know. That heatsink is extremely heavy.

The problem with ziplines that I see, is that to get them all the way around the card and have good positioning on the heatsink, you're going to run into the AGP slot. With rubber bands, I could fit them into the breaks of the AGP connection on the card and they'd squeeze in there, but zip lines won't do that. You'd have to go to the outsides of the AGP slot and when you get out there, I don't know if you could get a good handle on the heatsink.

I'm not really big into nuts and bolts, so I'm unfamiliar with knurled nuts. I have an idea of what that plan could be, but I'm not sure if it's right or not, a little more explanation would help. In any case, you're going to have a problem with the weight of the heatsink bending the card, which is really bad. You're going to need some kind of support for it. Do you have any pci cards or is everything onboard(this would help a lot)?

everything else will be onboard. nothing will be underneath the ti4200. i plan on putting a 92mm tornado on it. i have a drill lying around and wanted to ask how hard is it to drill through the copper? any tips you would suggest?

my plan is to first drill 2 holes through heatsink. than put the threaded rods through the heatsink and through the card. attach some plastic washers and nuts on the back side of card. springs and the knurled nuts to tighten the vid card down. only thing i'm afraid of is the bending you mentioned. for that, i could get some sort of blackplate for the back of the vid card.

lmk if that sounds good or if i need to do some sort of adjusting.

Well, I don't know how hard it would be to drill through the copper, but drilling through the card might be tricky. Depending on the card, there might not really be any room to drill through. Some cards have traces and components really spread out, but others(like mine) actually have some room right around where the push pin holes are that you could drill a little bit. You'll have to look at your card and see if you have room. If you're able to do this, you'll probably want to go in right where the push pins are and just "expand" them and line them up on the heatsink. The base of the heatsink is pretty thick and all copper, so it might take some doing.

I was thinking, without any pci cards, you could probably place some kind of "beam" support inside your case. Something you could rest the card on that extended to the bottom of the case. If you got some kind of insulation so it wasn't conductive, that would be a really good support, if it was possible. Well, that's about the extent of my knowledge on the subject. You could probably post in the modding section and get more experienced help on the subject. I just remembered, I'm going out of town tomorrow, but I should be back by the evening and I'll try and get some pictures for you then.

oh, one last thing, I would suggest a different fan. That's also a really thick fan and it would make the process all the harder. If possible, I would get a 80mm fan or atleast a thinner 92mm fan to go with it. That would be more than enough for the card and would make it easier to work with the hs/f.

Back