• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prime95 troubles

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Circaflex

Well, usually i dont prime, i go by the if it dont crash and games play and benchies bench, im fine. I went by this because i never folded, but a few people told me i should since i have a high OC, so i went and dowloaded the newest prime95 from the site. I ran it, and watched temps they never went about 40, when i game or bench they hit 50, i let it run for around an hour and it didnt go any further than test one it was jut on it, my comp didnt crash or freeze. Before when i primed it was quick and just kept testing and testing one test after another. Whats up with this? I used the default Torture Test.

Hey man, Prime 95 doesnt error out because of temps, not until you hit really high tmp's, like 70 -80.

The reasons prime will error is it gets an invalid calculation from the CPU, which can be caused by, incorrect returned data from ram, overvoltage is normally the prob,
also fsb to high can cause the a change of data again causing an error.

But most likely its the CPU to much voltage and prime will die everytime, there are two ways to fix it.

Get a better power supply that will give perfect rail voltages, or reduce voltage to chip, (may have to lower OC)

But believe me if Prime is erroring your CPU isnt running that well, all calcualtions in prime are MAth just like your cpu/fsb calculates, so if it cant do a simple torture test, bring your OC down.

Im not suggesting you leave your pc down below your current OC, just find where PRime 95 is stable, will give you something to go back to if your high OC starts to cause probs, which may or may not happen since your system is erroring.

did you even read my post? It didnt give errors, it just kept going on test 1. My psu is fine too. Read my post before you answer please?

Try setting the priority to 10.

In Prime95 go to Advanced>Password (Password=9876)
Then go to Advanced>Priority and type in 10

Then run the Torture Test (Then In-place large FFTs test stresses your CPU most)

your first problem is that you have a pentium 4 and only ran one instance of it. Since your processor is HT-enabled, you have to run TWO instances of it for you to hit 100% load. That's why the temps you recorded were so low :)

I think that's the answer you were looking for.

Back