• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Retireing the dual celerons - what new board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

none1

Hey all! I've been running the old abit ?BP6? dual board with overclocked celerons for a few decades now (in computer years). I've been booting a bunch of headless machines using ltsp.org, so the dual system is running about 8 other computers.

But now I want to upgrade. I want PCI-X, and I want 64 bit Linux, SO, that means AMD.

I've been out of the hitech loop for awhile.

So what's the best / fastest / stable 64bit pcix motherboard these days? Are there ANY 64 bit boards that allow overclocking? Bah humbug to those that say you don't want to overclock a stable dual system, my 300 or so cellerys have been running overclocked over 500 mhz for and stable for years .... :)

IWill's really been doing a lot when it comes to enthusiast workstation SMP- they're the company to watch. Their DK8N supposedly has basic OC options, and has a PCI Express successor DK8E coming out this fall- I'm not entirely sure on all the details now that I've stuck with my Xeons (cuz they still pwn Photoshop). 2CPU's forums are definitely worth investigating, as they have most all the info on these boards specifically.

I second 2CPU, they're a great forum for practically anything, but they really do excell in SMP.

IWill, or Tyan is what I'm thinking... but I dont know what boards are out by either.

And dont forget about Intel...dont they have 64bit Xeons out now or something? IF they don't yet, they will soon, and I'd go for those(yes, Intel fanboy).

Xeons are great if you're into content creation stuff, which is why I've stuck with them with my ever-consuming photography interest. However, Opterons match or smash Xeons in all other categories, and have a lot more longevity in the platform with reported drop-in compatibility of Socket 940 dual-cores. Also, Intel's 64 bit is supposedly a lot weaker than AMD's, at least according to Inquirer snippets, and the new chips inherit PressHot's difficulties, too.

I've also seen some vehement disappointment with Tyan's K8W over at 2CPU, although I haven't really looked into it. Something to think about, though...

Back