• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon 1400 on Chaintech 7AJA-2 crashes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Akareyon

Registered
First: Greetynx! This is my first post on this forum. I'm 20 years old and I live in Germany (a great excuse for my bad English ;-)
And I'm a total beginner (a great axcuse for my silly question).

I recently thought it was a good idea to buy the Athlon 1400 in a bundle with the Chaintech 7AJA-2/100 KT 133. After days of fun with the uDMA cable, a new 40G Seagate HD, the Hercules Prophet 4500 (Kyro II), my first DVD plus the stuff I kept from my old Cyrix/IBM 333 (CD-Rec, Soundcard etc) things started quite well, except for the CONSTANT freezing of the mouse cursor after roughly 1 to 15 minutes of work. No more Ctrl-Alt-Del, nothing. When playing an MP3, the soundcard hooked on one single frame and played it incessantly. Replacing the 235 Watts power supply with a 350 Watts PS wouldn't help, until I found out that the 3.3 Volts CPU core voltage need exactly 15 Ampere to run properly - both power supplies had only 14 Ampère, which explained a lot. Another power supply later (300 Watts, 3.3 Volts - 16 A), things worked quite well, the freezing stopped and never occured again. I installed all the stuff I regularily need (HalfLife and the like) and marvelled at the 75 fps on Jumbot with 19 CPU controlled opponent bots. Boy, what a noise!

I went out to tell everybody how great my computer works... until I found out that these BlueScreen crashes, program crashes and other errors occured way too often to be ignored as "normal". HalfLife would stop midway, return to windows without a good-bye, and things went on as if nothing had happened. Winamp crashes in normal Windows mode (with that silly little window which leaves you no choice but to click "close"), but plays an entire MP3 file to the end (the rest is silence).

I could play 5 entire DVDs in one row without a single crash (although I could fry eggs on the disks afterwards).

CPU temperature stays at about 52° Celsius.

The first slot behind the AGP card is empty, the newest drivers are installed.

Whom else shall I accuse? My 256 RAM (some noname 4x32 bar (which is explicitly "not recommended" in the mobo manual, but is said to work properly))? It has nothing to do with the software, which I re-installed at least three times.

Who can give me a hint?

Thank you very much in advance.

Yabba-Dabba-Dooo! Flashed BIOS, installed Copper Orb, plugged in Infineon RAM - and it all works flawless! Thanx alot!

Back