• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I want a Next Generation Card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dicecca112

Well I have been looking at 9800xts and the prices are so similar to the next gen cards I decided, why not. I don't plan making the jump to the 64bit generation or PCI-X, so I'm thinking why not.

I am looking to spend 300-400.

But there is a catch here, I will take ATI or Nvidia, but you have to tell me why. Basically sell me on the card, with concrete reasons, not simple, because X is better and y sucks.

Thanks All

Ati has the X800pro, and Nvidia has the 6800gt. The Gt is faster by a bit, while the x800pro has a chance to mod to the xt. Both are about $400, and agp.

Btw, its not PCI-X, that has been around for a while and is a realy long pci slot used in servers. Its PCI-E.

sorry my bad. but, is there anything say in the 300 range? What's the difference between the XT and Pro and nvidias equivalent. Too me it seems that any of these cards are more than adequate.

well, they are.

The XT has 16 pipes and higher clocks, the Pro has 12 pipelines.

In all Honesty, I would go with either the X800pro or the 6800GT. They are so similar in performance, that I would probably go with whichever was cheape, had a better retail bundle, or had a feature you wanted.

Go with 6800GT, has a full 16 pipelines, and SM3.0, while the ATI's still use SM2.0. Difference between SM3 and 2 isnt huge, but you will be able to tell. And with all 16 pipelines, overclocking to Ultra isnt hard, look at some posts on the 6800GT overclock.

Also, the X800s seem to do a bit better when you have all the eye-candy cranked up, which might be of some consideration. X-Bit Labs has some really good reviews and benchmarks to help you make your decision.

When you get to buying, Newegg is the absolute best, as almost everyone else here will also say ;).

Keep in mind that ati has temporal anti aliasing, better performance with eye candy and a chance to mod to an XT.

The X800 Pro is built on a tried and true architecture (the 9800) that has been further tweaked and optimized. It uses less power than the 6800GT. Plus the Catalyst Software used by the X800 is updated frequently and is supported by a feedback program to get the most out of your card.

I'm more opinionated to ATI, but heck... go for the better deal around you. Either way, you cannot go wrong!

6800 128mb $289 shipped, comes with Farcry. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-202&depa=0

6800GT 256mb $410 shipped, comes with Farcry. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-130-203&depa=0

X800 Pro 256mb $424 shipped, no bundle. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-102-364&depa=0

9800 Pro 128mb $200 shipped, comes with Morrowind, Duke Nukem:MP, and Ghost Recon. *Should* easily overclock to a 9800XT.
http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-127-127&depa=0

Last edited:
Personally I'd go with the GT because it's a better deal(cheaper and comes with Farcry, unless of course you already have Farcry in which case it's a waste) and the GT and x800 Pro are basically tied; the GT will barely beat the x800 in most cases without AA or AF and the x800 will barely beat the GT when AA and AF are cranked up, but it's all up to you, you'll be really happy with either one.

Whoops, just noticed, I made the mistake of puting GT on the end of the first one, it's just the regular 12 pipeline 6800, not the 16 pipeline GT. When listing all the cards my brain for some reason just automatically put the GT on there, sorry for the confusion, I fixed my earlier post.

The Gigabyte X800 Pro vivo's are coming out of the box with all 16 pipes already enabled.

an X800 Pro with 16 pipelines and SM3.0 would be perfect, then it could really compete with the 6800GT at the same price....

I think you will be happy with a 6800gt or an x800pro. Both cards are nice, the 6800 will beat the x800 in one bench, and the x800 will beat the 6800 in another bench. I would probably go for the 6800gt, because the farcry. If you have farcry, or have a friend who has farcry (or you have easy access to farcry), then go for the x800pro. Well, now that I think about it, I would go with the x800 b/c I have farcry. Its a tossup (egh farcry isn't that great a game anyway).

Back