• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Please help, just a few ?...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rassler

What kind of video card/ TV Tuner card to i need to be able to hook up PS2 to my computer to play on my LCD screen?

If i have a cable provider that needs a cable box (RCA) how do i go about getting those cable channels to play on my computer through the tv tuner card without the box, or do i need the box?

What are some good options for sound cards that have "optical out" to go directly to a reciever then to my 5.1 setup?

Thank you, please provide any info on these, or even just related if you think it would help me in any decisions on similar topics. -Greg

1)How good of quality are you looking for and how much are you willing to pay for it? Also, what kind of video connection will you be using(I am assuming composite). Lastly, are you going to want to do sound through the card too or just video and do sound with another system?

2)Maybe if you know why they require a cable box. If it's digital cable, then you'll need the box, if they say you just need a box, then I'd need to know why before I can answer the question(to the best of my knowledge of course).

3)I had this same problem as well not too long ago. I ended up going with the Hercules Fortissimo III card. It has optical out built right into the card, though it needs some things before it will output 5.1. The other option I was told about is to get a Creative Labs Audigy card and then purchase a daughter card for them that has an optical port. There might have been some external equipment as well that had optical ports.

I want a good/very good TV tuner card. I will prob either have a 9600xt or a 9800 pro for my Videocard. I was thinking of going with the S-Video connection, that is best picture right? As far as sound, I will have a onkyo 6.1 receiver and a 5.1 setup, so i guess i can just run an optical from the PS2 OUT to the Receiver optical IN right?

Yes it is digital cable. So if i do infact need a cable box, does that effect my choice of TV tuner cards in any way? Or once i run the cable to the box, ill be fine with any TV tuner card?

I was thinking of getting this card: CHAINTECH 7.1 Channel PCI Sound Card, Model "AV-710" -RETAIL. What do you guys think?

So I would have cable TV to the cable box, then to the TV tuner card, while all sound through Comp is in digital 5.1 b/c sound card has optical out running to receiver and speakers. PS2 video is on S-Video connection to (would it be the TV card or straight to Video card?) while sound is optical out to receiver. Does this sound right/good?!?

THANK YOU

rassler said:
I want a good/very good TV tuner card. I will prob either have a 9600xt or a 9800 pro for my Videocard. I was thinking of going with the S-Video connection, that is best picture right? As far as sound, I will have a onkyo 6.1 receiver and a 5.1 setup, so i guess i can just run an optical from the PS2 OUT to the Receiver optical IN right?

Yes it is digital cable. So if i do infact need a cable box, does that effect my choice of TV tuner cards in any way? Or once i run the cable to the box, ill be fine with any TV tuner card?

I was thinking of getting this card: CHAINTECH 7.1 Channel PCI Sound Card, Model "AV-710" -RETAIL. What do you guys think?

So I would have cable TV to the cable box, then to the TV tuner card, while all sound through Comp is in digital 5.1 b/c sound card has optical out running to receiver and speakers. PS2 video is on S-Video connection to (would it be the TV card or straight to Video card?) while sound is optical out to receiver. Does this sound right/good?!?

THANK YOU

S-Video is the best short of component video for Hi-def stuff. With a digital cable box, you actually really don't need a TV "tuner" card because the tuner is the digital cable box. All you really need is something with a video in function of some sort. You only need a tuner card if you're running a cable line straight to your comp. With the PS2 running straight to the surround sound reciever, it makes it easier. The thing I'm wondering about is that when running cable to a monitor, imperfections and interference can show up a lot more than with a regular TV, so you'll want a good connection from the clear digital reciever to your computer. If you want to spend this much, I'd go for this card, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=15-116-602&depa=0
It has a really good cable connection, but if the analog cable to your comp just doesn't do it for you, the composite connection should offer a bit better picture. Then you could run the audio composite cables through a stereo adapter and get your sound. Then that leaves the S-video for your PS2. If you don't want to go for that one, then there's this one you could go for, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=15-116-606&depa=0
I also hear really good things from the MSI tv tuner, but I hear the best from the hauppauge.

You also might want to look at this sound card, http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=29-118-106&DEPA=0
It's a bit more expensive, but if you want to go for it, it has a hardware decoder for Dolby Digital and DTS as well as an optical input so if your home theater receiver only has 1 optical in, you could run the ps2 optical through your sound card. Hope this helps, any other questions?

Ok, a little confussed now?!

Here is what I am currently considering getting:

Video Card:
Saphire 9800 pro
Saphire 9800pro - retail
HighTech 9800pro (like the idea of already having the cooler on it!)

Sound Card:
Chaintech
Turtle Beach
M-Audio (Does this have optical out?)

TV Tuner Card:
Leadtek Delux
PCChips
Leadtek Expert
WinTV401
WinTV PVR 250

Speaker sysetem EITHER:
2 sets HKB4 speakers, HK Center speaker, Velodyne Acoustics CHT-8 sub, and an Onkyo receiver
OR
MX5021

So could I get help deciding what to get. I really need help with the sound and TV Tuner cards. And say I do component from PS2 to the Computer, where does the input go!? Everything i see only says S-Video input, im sure I am wrong though. Please help. Looking for best price/performance option. But willing to pay more for sound card esspecially.
Please let me know if you need any more info in order to give me some advice. Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it.

Last edited:
For video card, I would go with either the Sapphire or this card, http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=14-127-127&depa=0

I would probably go with the MSI one because it has a better cooler than the Sapphire and has a bundle with it. The cooler on the HIS one looks cool, but looking down it looks like HIS isn't shipping cards with the R360 core like the MSI and Sapphire cards, so you'll have a lot better chance of flashing the card to an XT with the MSI or Sapphire cards.

For sound card, the m-audio does not have optical out, but it has coax(another port for digital sound) digital out. So if your receiver has a coax in, you could use that line for your pc and the optical line for your ps2, both would be digital sound. Any of those cards will work, it just depends on how much you want to spend.

Tv Tuners, I wouldn't go with the Leadteks for the sole reason of not having a composite input if you ever decided to go for that, but if you just want to go for the CATV connection(should work fine, I personally just like to always leave my options open) then the Leadtek should work fine. I don't really have much experience with TV tuner cards, I just hear a lot of great things from the Hauppauge and MSI cards. I would recommend the Hauppauge because that seems to be the favorite in the price range over at the avsforums, a forum dedicated to home theater.

I would definitely go 5.1. After you experience good surround sound, you'll never want to go back.

Thank you very much ]-[itman, that helps a lot. Would anyone else like to give any opinions on this? I would love to hear them.

Back