• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

6800GT BIOS flash gone bad!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Melhisedek

Maaaaates help please!
Well I tried that flash your GT to Ultra thingie and it didn't work that well ( lowered my scores by some 300 points + added heat + that it could freeze whenever it felt like it ( no artifacts no anything at Ultra clocks and above )

So I tried flashing back and had a lot of troubles, and this morning I saw some guy post his BIOS and instructions how to flash back regardless.
-f xxx.rom -p -u -2

I tried that with some BIOS he provided but I got even worse problems like I could loop 3DMark03 but couldn't play UT2k4 for more than 2 minutes.
So I tried to flash to my original BIOS with this new command.

Now all I get when I start my rig is continous beep and nothing else ( fans are spinning as well ) but I can't flash it back for the life of me. It never comes to checking floppy.

Any ideas guys? Is the PCI card only solution? Please!

THank you for your time!

Did the actual flashing to the original finish? Did you lose power, or reboot during the flashing? If so, I guess the PCI card thing is your last choice.
If not... well I think that's your last hopes anyway.

Lesson learned: If you're happy with the way your card works, don't flash the BIOS, unless you are sure that:

1. It would work
2. Somebody has tried the exact same thing, with the exact same card, and exact same BIOS
3. It would actually add performance

Why would you flash it? Is it really that hard to overclock it every time you reinstall windows? I am not flaiming. That sucks that you killed it or atleast you may have and I hope you fix it. I myself just bought a BFG 6800GT OC and will be trying it with with my new P4 chip comming in. If it goes above the Ultra speeds I will be keeping it. :)

-Alex-

termin@tor said:
Did the actual flashing to the original finish? Did you lose power, or reboot during the flashing? If so, I guess the PCI card thing is your last choice.
If not... well I think that's your last hopes anyway.

Lesson learned: If you're happy with the way your card works, don't flash the BIOS, unless you are sure that:

1. It would work
2. Somebody has tried the exact same thing, with the exact same card, and exact same BIOS
3. It would actually add performance

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32266

Here you can get answer to 1,2 and 3.

So PCI card is way to go ? Yeah it flashed all the way, didn't crash or anything... I just think BIOS got corrupt somehow :(

I really hope I can sort this out.

And it's not like I wanted to make this happen, as you can see in above thread and a few others on FM, this thing works for many peeps but it didn't work for me :/

I did all you are supposed ( backup the old BIOS and stuff ) but sadly looks like it got corrupted and there is no avoiding that.
Once again I don't do bad flashes for fun nobody does. This BIOS would give a 0.1 V to core as well and that I could use in my overclocking and that's the thing I was out after.

I hope this clears things a bit.
Thank you for your time!

Firstly let me say I hope you can repair/reflash it back to how it was.

Next, I think this was the problem with the entire flash your 5900 to 5950 BIOS hullabaloo. Every Tom, **** and Harry on earth with an Nvidia card was trying to flash something, somewhere, to something else. "Can I flash my GeForce 2 GTS to a QuadroFX3000?", et al. You get where I'm going. There are physical differences between the 6800GT and 6800 Ultra PCBs. The most glaring of course is that the 6800U has 2 12v molex connectors. A quick search through this forum alone will find numerous references, my own included, to where the performance of the 6800GT seems to start to degrade at or around 430MHz core. I personally attribute this to the intentional underpowering of the GT chip with only 1 constantly available supplemental power connector. That being said, the GT almost without exception happily clocks up to the area, and in most cases beyond, stock 6800 Ultra speeds. My signature for instance is one example. These two threads are another place to start:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=313424
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=311810

Anyway, the entire point of this tirade of mine was to agree with the general concensus of the thread. There's no reason to try flashing your Nvidia card until any number of people (many of whom get paid for such experimentation) attempt the very same. Many will invariably fail, many will succeed. But, until a rock solid formula for what can and cannot be achieved, through which BIOSes, on exactly which cards is determined, why on earth would you risk a brand new $400 piece of hardware, and all the performance enhancements it brings, to what can only be called potentially destructive curiosity?

My $.02 :beer:

DarkMatter13 said:
Firstly let me say I hope you can repair/reflash it back to how it was.

Next, I think this was the problem with the entire flash your 5900 to 5950 BIOS hullabaloo. Every Tom, **** and Harry on earth with an Nvidia card was trying to flash something, somewhere, to something else. "Can I flash my GeForce 2 GTS to a QuadroFX3000?", et al. You get where I'm going. There are physical differences between the 6800GT and 6800 Ultra PCBs. The most glaring of course is that the 6800U has 2 12v molex connectors. A quick search through this forum alone will find numerous references, my own included, to where the performance of the 6800GT seems to start to degrade at or around 430MHz core. I personally attribute this to the intentional underpowering of the GT chip with only 1 constantly available supplemental power connector. That being said, the GT almost without exception happily clocks up to the area, and in most cases beyond, stock 6800 Ultra speeds. My signature for instance is one example. These two threads are another place to start:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=313424
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=311810

Anyway, the entire point of this tirade of mine was to agree with the general concensus of the thread. There's no reason to try flashing your Nvidia card until any number of people (many of whom get paid for such experimentation) attempt the very same. Many will invariably fail, many will succeed. But, until a rock solid formula for what can and cannot be achieved, through which BIOSes, on exactly which cards is determined, why on earth would you risk a brand new $400 piece of hardware, and all the performance enhancements it brings, to what can only be called potentially destructive curiosity?

My $.02 :beer:

Very well said, and nice explanation about the missing molex connector on the GT, I always wondered how it would hinder the performance of the GT. thanks

none of you are actually helping him solve his problem, i would think that should he fail, he will understand by himself and so on, you don't need to remind him that he failed, etc

Melhisedek:

1. who made the card?
2. could i see a pic of the card?
3. what version of nvflash are you using?
4. its NOT a leadtek, is it?
5. full system specs?
6. what are you using as the replacement right now?
7. can you go and borrow a pci card?

i've currently got a few 6800 bioses, both GT and ultra, so:

1. you need a pci card
2. you should try different bioses

also, the nvflash version, its important you're using the latest one

and last

do you have either email or does someone have file hosting for ~1mb of files (various bioses, nvflash, and wflash)??

_

If your system is beeping then it's not POSTing and of course it could be caused by your video card, bummer.

Syx said:
If your system is beeping then it's not POSTing and of course it could be caused by your video card, bummer.

Yes, but then again the not posting can easily be caused by the BIOS. I had a similar problem with a Radeon 8500 a while back where the machine would not post at all but was able to fix it with a PCI card.

Don't give up hope yet! I say there is a very good chance that the card can work perfectly again if manage to get a hold of a PCI card.

Back