• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problem removing virus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Goodberry

Registered
I have been having a hard time recently removing a trojan from my machine. I have run AVG, told AVG to fix the problems and gone so far as to manually delete every instance of the virus as well.

AVG still chucks up an error window every now and then saying

"Virus found: Trojan horse backdoor.optix.BN

C:\System Volume Information\_restore{CDAA3BF5-33FC-416F-A444-Fb8176BEC237}\RP40\A0010875.exe"

It says to remove this problem run AVG for windows yet a virus scan comes up with no results. The path the virus is apparently in seems to be some obscure file that doesn't show up at all if I try to look for it.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove it?

(This is in the windows forum because I am using Windows XP home)

Last edited:
It's possible AVG will not scan that folder even though the auto protect deal picks up the file. Go into safe mode and modify the permissions for the "system volume information" folder. Then go back into normal and do the scan.

Yes, right click My Computer, go to system restore and DISABLE IT... reboot in safe mode, run the virus scanner again. Once done, you can reenable system restore and reboot normally.

You should also be able to run the disk cleanup tool and remove the old restore points. That should delete that file as well.

Back