• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is BOINC having problems updating stats?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmm, it updated, but I'm still only at 10184.37 credits. Oh well, it'll probably correct itself eventually.

I finally started boincing yesterday, only to find that rig idle upon returning home from work. :(

Back to classic seti for the moment.....

Looks like I picked a bad weekend to start. ;)

rogerdugans said:
I finally started boincing yesterday, only to find that rig idle upon returning home from work. :(

Back to classic seti for the moment.....

Looks like I picked a bad weekend to start. ;)

You can edit your profile so that your computer caches enough WU to last a while.

But I agree with you about going back to classic SETI. I've given up on BOINC for now. I have 3 computers running 24/7 and my stats doesn't seem to move much at all. I've switched my computers back to classic SETI earlier today. I will come back to BOINC when it's reliable again.

I agree.
seti boinc is really ****ing me off.
I am running 24 hours a day on 2 PC's and turning in on average 1 WU an hour between the 2 and I am seeing returns of 15 points a day if that.
it really ****es me off and makes me feel like I am wasting my time to be doing all this and seeing so little come back from it.
you can say its for the science, but to me, it's for the stats.
I can't do anything about the science, I am not there to see what they do with all of this, so that helps me not at all.
the stats are fun to build, fun to watch go up, and build up the team.
without that, theres no real incentive to do it.

with seti classic, you do a WU, you get 1 credit.
it was simple, predictable, and reliable.

this new Seti is unpredictable, and makes me feel like I am wasting my time, and I have no idea if I am even gonna get the credit for the work I am doing....
thats the most frustrating part, I just have no idea if I am even gonna get the credit for the work I put into this.
since I am the one paying my power bill, I want to know I am getting the credit for the work, but with seti Boinc I just honestly have no idea whats gonna happen.

thats the most frustrating part of it all...

Kunaak says what I'm thinking, and does it well. The Berkeley team needs to hear this feedback and react, or watch the project loose cruncher support.

Right now if Seti Classic were terminated, I'd have to seriously look at that "other" distributed computing project. (and I am not referring to boinc)

My 25 Ghz of crunching power may be more appreciated elsewhere.

And to further clarify: If I had 100 PC's to convert to Boinc, I'd quit by the 6th one. The loading process with the huge acct number has got to be improved.

All these years of SETI and we did it using email addresses. Now we have to go and make it complicated?

I cant even remember my acct code to log into my stat's page, so I don't even know if or when I get credit, nor do I know how much.

Please Berkeley have mercy on us and provide a streamlined client install and clean predictable stats least the project die a horrible death.

eaglescouter said:
Right now if Seti Classic were terminated, I'd have to seriously look at that "other" distributed computing project. (and I am not referring to boinc)

My 25 Ghz of crunching power may be more appreciated elsewhere.

This "other" project has a similar scoring system :(

I'm putting 3 of my boinc systems back to classic. My main rig will continue to run boinc where I can keep an eye on it. My other 3 systems I don't pay any attention to, and never know if boinc is doing it's job or not.

Yeah this is slowly turning me off. I might have to start folding if this keeps up. Unless they send 1 WU to a super fast computer, and the other 2 WU's to a pair of 486's which are only used 5 minutes a day, then it'll take years to get credit.

Hopefully those wu's 'expire' and get sent out to other systems. Too bad there isn't some kind of minimum system requirement to take part in the project... I'm with you guys even though I haven't started BOINC. At this point, I'm not sure I want to start with all the probs. Maybe part time with the 2.4c... I'll think about it.

Zim2411 said:
This "other" project has a similar scoring system :(

exactly.
this is the EXACT reason I quite folding at home, and went to seti.
with folding at home, you turn in a project, and wait hours to get some sort of credit for it.

thing is, I was doing work, and it was taking 3-4 days to get any credit.

if any at all.

there was alot of work units that just "disappeard" and I wasn't getting credit for it. it was really really ****ing me off to do all that, and just having credit never even show up.
there was a webpage you could look at and compare to your work history, and my work history was showing alot more then the webpage thing was.

that was about 2-3 years ago when I finally got fed up and quit, and started seti.

the simplicity and reliabilty of seti was a breath of fresh air, I do a WU, I get 1 credit, it was so simple.
reliable.
predicable.
certain PC's did nearly the same amount of work Per hour.
it was like heaven compared to the frustration I felt with FAH.

right now, Seti Boinc is nearly the same.
except now, there is no record of the work I am turning in.

thats "temporarily disabled" still....

I really wish classic seti was still the "only seti"

Kunaak said:
I really wish classic seti was still the "only seti"

Couldn't have said it better myself. I switched to BOINC for a few days and realized I wasn't having fun anymore. Seti Classic it is for now, I'll switch back to BOINC when its better then classic, or its a must.

What really bothers me is that we cant see "pending credit" - then I could compare my point per WU I actually turned in to the "granted credit"

Dk Jedi Allianc said:
What really bothers me is that we cant see "pending credit" - then I could compare my point per WU I actually turned in to the "granted credit"

Same here, Once that function is enabled again, it will be so much better.

The loading process with the huge acct number has got to be improved.

Copy and paste from text file
(same to check stats or can be found in \BOINC\account_setiathome.berkeley.edu.xml <- open with excel, scroll down to 3rd text line if you forget it...and are actually trying to remember it ;))

I made 'my' text file the first day I got and compressed to self extract with boinc exe. Emailed myself ;) and went to my friends house. Did all (14) of mine in one night. I found it about the same as the cmd/setidriver old way.

And my 2cents. Berkley has no idea what there doing with BOINC. I mean going official with:
1. No workunits in que (or so little it can't fead 1% of us with a 5 day cache).
2. Credit process in limbo.
3. Server/Network not prepared for what they knew was going to happen.

This makes me feel as though they really don't give a rat's *&& about us...the people that crunch the work. Without us there is NO project. IMO they better get their s%^t together...and fast or go back to Beta BOINC and put SETI 1 back into full swing atleast until they can keep it running for a full day straight LMAO.

Psyko

abitavenger said:
Couldn't have said it better myself. I switched to BOINC for a few days and realized I wasn't having fun anymore. Seti Classic it is for now, I'll switch back to BOINC when its better then classic, or its a must.
Again I agree. After three days with only two completed units I'm going back to classic.

This stinks. My stats haven't been updated in days, and I'm almost out of WU's. I'm mostly back to classic SETI now.

Back