• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zalman? Thermaltake? GPU cooling Suggestions Needed please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MrBozack

Okay.... so I finally got my 5900XT to a 5950Ultra and I'm very happy.

but... I need a good cooler for the GPU.

I kind of had in mind something like;

Thermaltake Extreme Giant III
or
The Zalman ZM80D-HP Dual heatpipe

I've been looking at various coolers, but I am worried about the large ramsinks on the card already. They won't come off and they're pretty big.

Can anybody please tell me if they'll fit, or suggest something better?
Many thanks
:)

DSCF0034.JPG

DSCF0037.JPG

Flip-Mode said:
If you have the cash the Giant is sopsed to be a great cooler, look for some review on google.

Sure it's supposed to be a great cooler... hence I wanted one... or a Zalman...

My first course of action was to check online reviews, I couldn't get any accurate pictures or measurements that would tell me the clearance height needed..

My second technique involved emails, manufacturers and long waits....

My third was to ask about and see if somebody could measure theirs for me.
Their cooler... than is...

Fourth will be to order one anyway, screw the card up trying to get the ramsink off when it doesn't fit.

;)

By looking at it Im going to guess the giant II would fit on your card. Your ram sinks look like the would clear it but not by much. Then again Im only guessing off the picture. I know the giant II clears pretty high. I had one and managed to cut down some old pentium heatsinks for ram sinks and fit them underneath of it. I do't know the clearnace though for a giant III. But if it's the same as a giant two it looks like it should fit.

Aeon Flux said:
By looking at it Im going to guess the giant II would fit on your card. Your ram sinks look like the would clear it but not by much. Then again Im only guessing off the picture. I know the giant II clears pretty high. I had one and managed to cut down some old pentium heatsinks for ram sinks and fit them underneath of it. I do't know the clearnace though for a giant III. But if it's the same as a giant two it looks like it should fit.

:attn: Sensible reply ahoy captain!! Thanks for taking the time to reply

Most excellent... the plot is thickening.
The Giant III is about half the price of the Zalman here, and I'm a big Thermaltake fanboi.

I too thought the Giant III would be the one which would fit if anything would.
Although the Zalman may just fit too...

I asked more or less the same qn in the cooling section.

Well, i asked recommendations between the TT Giant 3, Zalman Heatpipe and the new NV Silencers. Everyone said that it would be best to wait for the silencers, which i am presently doing.. :sn:

I would wait, but my card wont :bang head . I will not let my precious idle at 62c*

Here is what I ordered for my 6800GT

16_g.jpg

17_g.jpg

18_g.jpg

23_g.jpg

^^ I plan on doing just that replaced with a 6800GT

It already got them...

anyway - y wont u wait for the new VGA cooler series?
vga cooler was always the best cooler for both ati and nvidia and with a new series they should rock and be cheaper then those heatpipe thingys that doesnt worth ur money.

u can check reviews
VGA cooler anways wins

Simulacrum said:
u can check reviews
VGA cooler anways wins

Well th NV cooler thing isn't out yet.

All I want to know is will the heatpipes on the Zalman or Giant clear 18mm-19mm Ransinks at the rear of the card?

SEE FIRST POST!!!!!!! :bang head

Please?..... anybody?......

OMG! Timing From Zalman

You will need to remove the your existing RAM heatsink before fitting the the ZM80D-HP. They should be removable. Take a look here - http://www.quietpc.com/uk/install_vga.php.

By using a credit card and a screw driver you should be able to remove the heatsinks. Once the heatsinks are remove the ZM-80D-HP and ZM-OP1 should fit without any problems

Yeah I think that may be what happens.....

A coolermaster Aero or somthing.... I have plenty of PCI free.
...but what would I use to stick it?

Sentential, the ram sinks came with the product? (I'm assuming you bought it from newegg and it does come with 8 silver ram sinks but they don't seem to match yours.. :-/

Edit: Btw, what are your temps? :bday:
EDIT: NVM! lol you bought it from exaliburpc.. :bang head

Back