• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wrong temperature readings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gil_galad

Registered
Hi,

I have a Barton 2500+ and my Motherboard is a GA-7VT880
I just several hardware monitoring utilities (SpeedFan, Hardware Sensors Monitor, MBM5), but the problem is, the temperature readings are not correct. I have EasyTune4, whose temperatures are correct because these are the same of the BIOS.

Well, the temperatures reported by these 3 utilities are by 6°C higher.
I have the feeling that the utilities read the temperature from a different sensor than BIOS and EasyTune do. For example, when I start the computer, the BIOS temperature is by 2°C higher than the temperature of MBM5. As soon as I start Prime95, the temperature reported in MBM5 rises by approx 2-3° C in 3 seconds, and matches the temperature reported by EasyTune.
Then the temperatures reported by the two programs rise almost synchronously, but when I stop Prime95, MBM5 shows the temp sinking in few seconds, EasyTune does not.

My question is: Is it possible that EasyTune (and thus the BIOS) and Hardware Sensors Monitor read the temperature from two different spots? Shouldn't there be an unique sensor for CPU??

Thanks

theres the diode and the socket temp..im not familiar with your motherboard, but chancees are one program is reading socket and one is reading diode.

If I haven't made an error, socket is usually the bios temp while motherboard monitor reads the diode (and the socket if you set it up correctly).

Chances are though, since a hotter temperature is being read from SOMEWHERE, that temperature exists somewhere within your system and you should consider it, your cpu temp and attempt to cool it as such.

Bios temps are usually too conservative.

The highest temp I get through Prime 95 is 55°C, read by EasyTune4.

MBM5 reports the highest temp around 60°C.

I think MBM reads the diode, EasyTune4 and BIOS the socket sensor.

Nevertheless, it's difficult for me to believe that I have such a hot temp, because the Heatsink ( CoolerMaster CP5-8JDIF-0L ) should do its job well.

So maybe the diode temp is around 10°C higher than the REAL Cpu temperature??

Go into MBM5 settings - you can set it up to read BOTH the socket AND diode on most mobos.

I highly doubt diode temp is 10 degrees higher.

A few explainations could be:

Poor case airflow - blowing hot air onto a hot heatsink doesn't cool it down too well.
Incorrect mounting of heatsink - could be resting incorrectly - attempt to reseat.
Too much thermal interface material - perhaps you've added a far too thick layer of arctic silver - the layer only needs to be paper thin.

But I can pretty much assure you that if you set up mbm5 correctly (choose your proper mobo etc) that's an ACCURATE temp that demonstrates the cpu temperature.

Gil_galad said:
Nevertheless, it's difficult for me to believe that I have such a hot temp, because the Heatsink ( CoolerMaster CP5-8JDIF-0L ) should do its job well.

Unfortunately sometimes these things could have a minor problem such as these above that would not allow a heatsink to cool to it's potential. You should assume something needs to be changed.

Besides - tinkering is fun :clap:

Good luck!

I think (and hope) that the heatsink is mounted well, because it was built by the shop at which I've bought the CPU and MoBo.

Is there a way to measure the CPU temp directly on the cpu? I mean, could I use anormal thermometer??

Back