• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

over clocking old and strange system

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bolillo_loco

Registered
hello, I know absolutely nothing about computers other than putting in vid cards, sound cards, hard drives and other mechanical functions. I have never over clocked anything.

I have a very old computer. I was wondering how far it can be safely over clocked while retaining the stock heat sink and fan. here are the system specs. is this the right information? remember I am pretty stupid. hey thank you for looking at this and I will be glad for any response (even ones telling me to chuck it into the dumpster)

Number Of Processors : 1
Type : Intel Celeron
Specification : Intel(R) Celeron(TM) CPU 1400MHz
Manufacturer Codename : Tualatin
Trace Width : 0.13
Clock Speed : 1394 MHz
Clock Multiplier : 14.0
Front Side Bus (FSB) Speed : 100 MHz
Processors Bus Speed : 100 MHz
L2 Cache Size : 256 KBytes
Core Stepping : tB1
Microcode Level : 0h
Mobile Clock Modulation : N/A

Manufacturer : Intel Corporation
Model : SE440BX
Revision : AA696089-408
CPU Slot/Socket Type : Socket 370 FC-PGA2
Serial Number : 00028498124658AP00GA
Chipset Vendor : Intel
Chipset Model : i440BX/ZX
Chipset Revision : C1
Bios Manufacturer : Intel Corp.
Bios Version : 4S4EB0X1.10A.0035.P13
Bios Date : 09/21/99

Used Slots : 3 of 3
Total Memory : 768 MB of SDRAM DIMM
Frequency : PC125
CAS Latency : 2.0 clocks

what motherboard you got? and is it a custom built system or an OEM system ie. dell, gateway ect.

stock cooling wont get you very far but the 1.4ghz celerons are really good overclockers.

I already put the mother board specs in, but here they are again

Manufacturer : Intel Corporation
Model : SE440BX
Revision : AA696089-408
CPU Slot/Socket Type : Socket 370 FC-PGA2
Serial Number : 00028498124658AP00GA
Chipset Vendor : Intel
Chipset Model : i440BX/ZX
Chipset Revision : C1
Bios Manufacturer : Intel Corp.
Bios Version : 4S4EB0X1.10A.0035.P13
Bios Date : 09/21/99

It was bought in 11/98 from dell and is a xps r450 it was originally a P-II 450 the old cpu was taken out and one of power leaps 1.4 cpus was put in. here is the ulr for the power leap cpu that this p/c has

http://powerleap.com/PL-iP3T.html

I was curious how far (if at all) it could be over clocked w/ stock heat sink and fan. does anybody make some type of after market heat sink and fan for this cpu combo?

yes it is an intel mother board. now my question is why can't it be over clocked because of this? is it due to running too much voltage through the mother board? I know the power leap 1.4 cpu upgrade uses it's own power source and does not depend on the mother board for its voltage. look at this pdf file it has a picture of the external power source

http://powerleap.com/pdf_files/IPS.pdf

thank you for your responses.

Intel boards just do not have the options in BIOS nor the jumpers on the motherboard to allow for a clock increase....Intel doesnt like having their processors overclocked :) Someone correct me if im wrong please....

It MAY be possible to up the FSB on that board thru switches or jumpers. However, that Tualatin core has very little chance running at 133FSB as you cant raise the core voltages at all. If this is a Powerleap system refer to the Powerleap web site for more information. As far as I know though the Powerleaps dont overclock(well).

Z

Ya, try software. Clock for clock, any tualatin whoops a p4. I wonder how much performance would be gained by using ddr with the tualatin. I am still tempted to buy a 1.4gig celly, heatsink, and ddr motherboard combo I found on pricewatch for $90.

The software don't usually work with Intel mobos unless you can hit one of the default FSB settings, like 100 or 133 FSB. There is a BSEL pin mod that will force the CPU to 133 FSB too. Trouble with both of those methods is that a 1.4 Tualatin will probably not reach a stable 133 FSB on reasonable vcore and with air cooling.

Back