• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Weight Factor

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PhatKirby

How much weight is too much weight when it comes to heatsinks and fans? How much pressure can a processor take?
I'm planning to buy a AMD T-bird 1.4 ghz, and wanna keep it cool. Any suggestions on which fan I can get at a reasonable price and still have good performance? I wanna be able to keep the processor running at a stable, safe temperature but not bust out a checkbook to buy the heatsink.

Thermalright mentioned on their SK-6ab heatsink that it complies with the AMD's 300g weight specs. What does this mean? Can AMD's only take 300g of pressure on top of it?

I'd like to hear some opinions.
Thanks,
PhatKirby

The wieght doesn't have anything to do with the pressure on the cpu (unless it is a desktop case). In a tower the motherboard stands vertically so the wieght consideration is to keep from having the socket ripped off of the motherboard durring shipping. Many people ahve put much much heavier heatsinks on with no problem at all.

The pressure on the cpu is determined by the clip the hsf uses. AMD specs on pressure are 12lb min, 24lb max, with a target presure of 16lbs. So even in a desktop case the wieght of the HSF shouldn't really matter.

I think a really good budget HSF would be the GoldenGate w/Delta 38. Less Than $30

Back