• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 part question about vid cards...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tall_Dallas

I'm running:
GeForce4TI 4400 128MB 4X
I got a new Intel Motherboard that'll support 8X
and I'm running a 2.4 Ghz P4
Also 512MB DDR 333Mhz Ram.

I am wondering 2 things.
#1, is my video card my "bottleneck" when it comes to games?
#2, What video card would you reccomend for <$200.
I'm leaning towards the 8X 256MB GeForce 5700.

Dont' make this an ATI/Nvidia Or Intel/AMD brand fight.
(I'm not sure what the comperable ATI Card would be in their number scheme.
So I will take any and all suggestions as to what I should do first to bump my graphic / game performance?

(Yes... I'm preparing for Doom 3.)
I have Far Cry so it'll be a good test-game.
I run Far Cry on Medium Detail, no antilacing, at 1024X768 (no shadows)... with fairly descent FPS (20's to 30's)
But I would like to get my resolution to "high detail" at 1152X864 with 30+FPS.
Any / All advice would be appreciated.

Well ,yes your vid card is your bottleneck. Face it, its old and sucks now. You will not be able to play Doom3 on it, maybe on low detail. If you are as into Doom 3 as I will be, than get a Geforce. A Geforce will definitely run Doom 3 better than ATI because Nvidia cards run opengl games way way better. And do no get that crappy 5700, for it will not run doom 3 the way you want it to. Instead buy a 5900xt for around 200, and then mod it to a 5950 Ultra which will run Doom 3 really nice. Even if you can't make it into a 5950Ultra the 5900xt will still run doom3 better than a 9800pro. Basically Doom3=Nvidia HL2=ATI. Take your choice. I like Doom 3 more because its hella more frightning. And HL2 is already outdated lol. HL2 will come out sometimes in the next century.GG :D

What I would recogmend is not the 5900xt but rather the 9800pro. If you look around you can get your hands on one for 160-180 retail. Check out BB and CompUSA. then go to Newegg.

The reason for this is that since you are planning to play SM 2.0 and 3.0 games, the 5900 series isn't the best. This is a known fact. It does horrible on any of the SM 2.0 and 3.0 games aka far cry, doom3, HF2, heck all the new games almost compare to its 9800series counter part. With the 9800pro at the price it is, it would be foolish to get anything else unless you can get a 5900XT for 100-120 then it might be worth it.

Nvidia's newer 6800 series is much better but that is out of your price range right now

maybe I am wrong about Doom using SM 2.0/3.0 but to say that the 9800pro would suck would make you a Nvidia fan. ATI does well in OpenGL, maybe not as well as Nvidia but to say that it suck would just be plain stupid. Also the 9800 will not and can not suck as bad as the 5900 series under SM 2.0/3.0.

So the man goes and buy a vid card for just doom and not a single other game out there? There is no logic in that.

What I am saying is that for his price range in the overall scheme, he would be happier with the 9800pro than a 5900XT. In general he will get better performance from the majority of new games than with a 5900.

If you do a search I was one of the few people that told people to buy a 5900XT when it came out. The reason is that most of the games out at the time did not use SM2.0 and it was about 100 dollars cheaper than the 9800pro. That has changed. The 9800pro is so cheap right now it would be folly to pick any other. If you really want to you can actually go to every single online review that has the 5900 series and they will all say the same thing. Card is nice and all but it lack of SM 2.0 will be bad with all the new games out later this year.

Edit: Also if 9800pro suck so bad at openGL, they would have a hard time selling workstation cards now wouldn't they that rely on their opengl performance.

Last edited:
OK, I said it once and I'll say it again. I do not think that the 9800Pro is a bad card. IN Doom 3 it will be worse than that 5900xt. 100% sure on that. And yes nvidia tears apart ATI in opengl. How else would a Geforce 6800nu beat a X800 XT PE?? Only in Opengl.

Jarlaxe said:
OK, I said it once and I'll say it again. I do not think that the 9800Pro is a bad card. IN Doom 3 it will be worse than that 5900xt. 100% sure on that. And yes nvidia tears apart ATI in opengl. How else would a Geforce 6800nu beat a X800 XT PE?? Only in Opengl.

maybe because the 6800nu is the bottom of the barrel and the x800 XT is ATI top of the line card? the difference of 200 dollars? Also because most of the benchmarking was done using beta drivers for the 6800? A lot of reasons.

So is going up to 256MB worth it?
Or would staying with the 128MB cards ... but getting better chipset be the better bet?
I'm just wondering where the performance boost would be on identical cards with only a memory difference...

Someone get over here with a GeForce-5900 128/256 and an ATI-9800 128/256!
Time to make a decision... LOL (IS double ram worth $100-$150?)
I can afford whatever I want... I'm just looking for the best "bang for the buck" and I put the $200 mark in there so you guys wouldn't say
"just get the most expensive one!"

And enough of the ATI/Nvidia Debate... LAWD! :argue:

If you double the ram it is best to get a 6800 or x800 then

I only reason I suggested the 9800pro was the 200 mark. If you are willing to spend 350 go for a newer gen card

shortyes said:
maybe because the 6800nu is the bottom of the barrel and the x800 XT is ATI top of the line card? the difference of 200 dollars? Also because most of the benchmarking was done using beta drivers for the 6800? A lot of reasons.

Um...I don't think you understood what I said. I said that the 6800nu beat the x800 XT PE in a couple Opengl games. So, I don't understand what you are really trying to tell me here lol.

first off, the OpenGL games tested latly on the new or old cards, will not perform in any way like the Doom3 engine.

the tests that were done were on games that were based off of the Q3A or Q3:TA engine.....no shaders, vertex or pixel.
no bump mapping, no heavy shadowing...almost compleatly different.

how can you say, that the 9800pro will suck or be far worse then any card, that already has problems with PS and VS in DX????

how will comparing games like CoD to DOOM3 be a reasonable comparison in OpenGL performance?

if, ulta shadow 1, dont help the 5900 cards, then I can't see how the 5900xt could be any better then a 9800pro in this new game.

everything we are hearing is soooo speculative right now....
why are you too even arguing, when not one of you even have any proof, one way or another.

Tall_Dallas, wait two weeks and a few days....
then you'll know what to get.

then just buy your new card and the game at the same time...
WOW, you'll never be happyer.

mica

If you can get whatever you want then just get a 6800 Ultra Extreme on dual video array. If you want best bang for the buck get the 6800Gt for 400, or if you want performance wise 9800XT except even faster and cheaper, get an evga 6800 standard. IMO because I own one, I think its also good bang for the buck, and its only 299 with 12 pipes. Later if you feel you need more performance you can do the step up program through evga and go to a Gt or Ultra. BTW Ultra Extreme has A 6 MONTH Step Up. Seems really good, that in 6 months they will buy it back for whatever you paid them.

Mica, first of all there have been tests done on Doom 3. And no its not speculative. You know that there are doom3 beta's right? Not to mention more warez on these forums you can pm me and I will give you the needed information to change your mind.

Jarlaxe said:
Mica, first of all there have been tests done on Doom 3. And no its not speculative. You know that there are doom3 beta's right? Not to mention more warez on these forums you can pm me and I will give you the needed information to change your mind.

still all speculative, and betas are not finals, yet you'll get a PM soon.

in the meantime, please show some links with benchies on the final game, with the new or older cards....thank you.

mica

now, now guys...
go to a corner, kiss and make up.
LOL
My Vid Card is an old MSI
So I don't think a trade up program is in the realms for me... But I am quite interested in it.
I'm sure my co-workers are tired of buying my hand-me-down games and hardware... (and my fiance wants new stuff too... {women are NEVER satisfied})
Anyways.
Thanks everyone for the advice.
I have a friend that has the hook-up for hardware (nice to have a friend in the hardware business) and he's going to see about getting me a discound on a card when he buys his next load of mid-grade cards...

But I'm going to wait to see if everything works out.

another question guys...
I used to be able to overclock my GPU... but with the latest NvIdia drivers, I lost that capability... any way to get that back?

Tall_Dallas said:
another question guys...
I used to be able to overclock my GPU... but with the latest NvIdia drivers, I lost that capability... any way to get that back?

try coolbits...here.

btw...

WELCOME TO THE FORUMS.

mica

Jarlaxe said:

If I read your interesting writing correctly you are giving information on where to get warez. It's not allowed here. Unless some things have changed in the past months.

I doubt that a 9800p will "suck" on doom3. But it is all speculation. Just wait until doom3 comes around then buy your card of choice with next day air :D :attn:

Back