• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Video card desisions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

t_biggs

What should I do? I currently have a Radeon 9500 Pro. I'm looking to upgrade. I've been looking at getting a 9700 Pro or 9800 Pro refurb from newegg for around $130 to $170. I've also been looking for a GeForce FX 5900 series card (XT, non-Ultra, and Ultra.) These seem kind of expensive, though. Also, I thought about saving up money for a GeForce 6800 GT or Radeon X800 Pro. If I do that, I'll probably have to wait a few months to get it. What should I do? My 9500 Pro is a decent card that can overclock very well (with the setup in my sig, I can get 16000 3D marks in '01, with the GPU and CPU overclocked.) Should I save for a new top of the line card, or go for a cheap 97 or 9800 Pro refurb? Or try to find a cheap 5900 XT or something similar and hope it overclocks well?

I was thinking the same as you, look at the ard I am using in my rig, yours is a tad better. My conclusion was why buy a 9800 when I was going to want to upgrade the next time I had the money to a x800 or 6800. I rather wait and save, and then buy the best card.

Buy now or wait? - the eternal question. I think I'd wait and buy an FX 6800 or x800...after they drop in price. They are unbelievably expensive right now.

since the 9800pros are so much cheaper now..... I'd go with that and overclock the crap out of it.....

Oh I just said screw it. I'm going to sell my computer to a friend for the price of a PS2 and some games for it and be done with it.

t_biggs said:
Oh I just said screw it. I'm going to sell my computer to a friend for the price of a PS2 and some games for it and be done with it.

Okay, just remain calm, the nice men in the white coats will be here shortly and they'll guide you to a nice safe place place.

And be of good cheer, people have been known to recover from even worse breaks from reality
:attn:

DWolf:cool:

LOL. I was just joking. I think I'm going for a 5900 XT. Good chance I can flash it to a 5950, almost all come with at least 1 game I'm interested in, and they are a little cheaper than a 9800 Pro, plus, not a refurb, so if it is DOA it won't be a problem.

Someone posted in another thread that Best Buy has the PNY 5900NU on sale for $180 on clearance. Thats a hell of a deal. If I didnt just buy a 6800NU I would grab one myself.

Back