• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It's from theinquirer but STILL ! 512 cards !

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
if there are 512 on the horizon they said that 1024 are soon to follow. Imagine how unreal a card like that could play a game like Doom3. And the price tag.

I feel a 1024mb card realy would boost speed much over 512, unless your running 4x AA with doom 3. I suspect to play a game that requires more than 512mb of vram will also need 2gb of system ram.

As I recall wasn't there very limited improvement from the 128mb and 256mb 9800 pro cards?

Don't the games have to be programmed in a way to take advantage of the extra memory?

anvil82 said:
As I recall wasn't there very limited improvement from the 128mb and 256mb 9800 pro cards?

Don't the games have to be programmed in a way to take advantage of the extra memory?

There wont be a great improvement in games unless they NEED the extra memory. For instance in Max Payne 2 at 1600X1200 I cant turn up AA +AF as there is not enough vid memory (U get a warning box) I'm sure doom3 and all those shaders would make use of some xtra vid memory.

Yes, you get no performance increase unless the memory used by the textures in the game excede the amount of video RAM... so for most cases, anything over 128MB makes no difference. We are getting close to the point where 256MB may make a difference, though.

Gregory_WE said:
Yes, you get no performance increase unless the memory used by the textures in the game excede the amount of video RAM... so for most cases, anything over 128MB makes no difference. We are getting close to the point where 256MB may make a difference, though.

well PCGamer says we're at a point where 512 cards will be REQUIRED if you want to play Doom III in Ultra Quality Mode, where the textures are all uncompressed running in vram :)

devvingiorgio said:
well PCGamer says we're at a point where 512 cards will be REQUIRED if you want to play Doom III in Ultra Quality Mode, where the textures are all uncompressed running in vram :)

I serverely doubt 512 is necessary, it is bound to be an assumption.

Last edited:
HungryForHertz said:
I serverely doubt 512 is necessary, it is bound to be an assummption.

well it's printed in the world's first exclusive review, so I'm assuming that they confirmed it w/ Id.

Guess we'll just have to wait and see

A wel balanced average system will beat a crap system with a nice graphics card.

Not in 3dmark 03 hehe. I saw a P2 with a 9800pro vs a P4(dont remember speed) with a 9600. Guess what got a higher 3dmark? The 9800 by far. But in games, yea, a well balanced system will win.

Back