• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ATI BIOS Mods!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

iwillburnbush

I am working on some custom bioses for ATI cards, and was wondering whether or not anybody would use options like voltage modification and mem timing modification because they are two of the tougher things to measure and find in the bios. Right now I am able to change any name or "reported" label (So that windows recognizes it as a ______ for driver reasons), the gpu clock rate, memory clock rate, the two voltage values (although i don't know which is the gpu and which is the mem yet :-/) and if anybody thinks it would be usefull I can work on the mem timings, but it is really tough to measure them to see if they've changed after a flash.

I really want to know exactly how you are supposedly adjusting voltage in the BIOS... Hard measurements against the actual capacitor solder points in the card have shown multiple times that the BIOS on these 9500+ Radeons have no impact on voltages supplied to the card.

The voltages are instead entirely controlled by independant non-programmable circuitry in the form of dedicated TSOP voltage regulator IC's.

Please excuse me if I'm less-than-convinced of your voltage modifications to the BIOS. That doesn't mean you didn't find something, but I'm seriously doubting whatever you DID find actually changes anything on the card.

Ditto.

However, if you can do this and then find changes in voltage by a multimeter readout, you will accomplish what many have been hoping for for years.

iwillburnbush said:
I am working on some custom bioses for ATI cards, and was wondering whether or not anybody would use options like voltage modification and mem timing modification because they are two of the tougher things to measure and find in the bios. Right now I am able to change any name or "reported" label (So that windows recognizes it as a ______ for driver reasons), the gpu clock rate, memory clock rate, the two voltage values (although i don't know which is the gpu and which is the mem yet :-/) and if anybody thinks it would be usefull I can work on the mem timings, but it is really tough to measure them to see if they've changed after a flash.

If you can pull this off you'll be the next legend in computer bios modification.....

the 9800 pro cards have a lower BIOS set voltage than the 9800 xt cards so i went into the bioses with a hex editor and picked out all the "header" info junk, then found the clock rates and other differences between the two cards that were pretty obvious, then there were only 3 or 4 differences left and so I know that the voltages are set in those values. I know that those values have something to do with the gpu because when I change them the temperature goes up and down (depending on what value i replace it with) and since it doesn't change the clock rate I kind of assumed it just raised the voltage, although I may be horribly wrong and my temp probe could just be fluctuating a bit . I kind of hit a wall though because I can't find a way to accurately measure the voltages on a sapphire 9800 pro 128mb, so I'm not even sure if that's what it's doing, I'm just kind of excited because I stumbled upon something cool and it's wasting lots of time (and i do have LOTS of time to be wasted)...

I don't think that every bios has the same data in the same spots, so right now I'm only doing a sapphire 9800p bios to a sapphire 9800xt bios, 128mb hynis ram to 128mb hynix ram, etc.. If anybody has any programming skills and wouldn't mind making a program like "biosedit", pm me

Last edited:
It won't let me post the table :bang head , so email me if you want to see it!!!

There's a table of all the differences between the pro and xt bioses, i need to update the notes because they are about a day behind, but as you can see there are only four values that are most likely voltages, but there are still a couple of values near the top that are still unknown. I also found 11 memory settings before somebody told me that somebody already made a program that allows you to change 17 memory timings called RaBiT Radeon BIOS Tuner. I'm trying to get in contact with the guy who made it (from over at www.radeon2.ru), but they're all russian so I don't know if that will accomplish anything.

I just really want a program that can edit the new x800 bios. Anyone know where I can find one?

--Josh

Back