• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*OFFICAL* DOOM3 Benchmarks, 6800GT faster then x800XT

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I'm glad the guys at Hardocp started using actual game benchmarks versus 3DMark.
Since all of the new generation video cards are just that...new..future driver updates will probably benefit all of these cards. 6800 GT looks like the card to get from these results though.

Can't say I didn't see this one coming though. For years ati's best has always been under nvidia's boot when it comes to opengl gaming. Ati needs to smarten up and get cracking on some better opengl support, or I fear many will jump ship just because of d3. It's kinda funny though, ati is king of direct3d and nvidia is king of opengl. It's like saying... if you want the best doom 3 experience get an nvidia card, but wait if you want the best hl2 experience grab an ati one. I guess it boils down to wich engine is going to be powering more games, doom3 or source and then pick your vid card accordingly.

1090364971VEVx7HppJJ_3_1.gif

OWN3D!!!!

Makes me wonder how far behind the nVidia cards will be when we see the same tests for HL2.....

You know guys... once mica sees this he is going to try and discredit it as best as he can... I think it's jut better to buy it and play it for yourself before making statements such as own3d...

There's too many variables and unknowns to actually give a final verdict. Not that I care... I'm not going to be playing Doom 3 on a machine like that. I want to know if it will run on my little machine in my sig and my brother's machine that I am going to build for him... that is all I need to know!

Last edited:
I will let you know how it goes. They are showing and extreme case with 1600x1200. From the article.

"For those of you that think you are not going to have the hardware that you need to play DOOM 3, the fact of the matter is that many of you will be just fine, although an upgrade may still be in your future. As of this afternoon we were playing DOOM 3 on a 1.5GHz Pentium 4 box with a GeForce 4 MX440 video card and having a surprisingly good gaming experience. Even a subtle jump to an AMD 2500+ with a GeForce 3 video card that is two years old will deliver a solid gaming experience that will let you enjoy the game the way id Software designed it to be. That fact alone should let many of you know that you will not be left behind in experiencing DOOM 3."

Sounds good to me!

From [H] Quote

Looking at the cream of the crop in video cards, it is painfully obvious that ATI is going to have to make some changes in their product line to stay competitive, at least with DOOM 3 gamers. There is no way for a $500 X800XT-PE to compete with a $400 6800GT when the GT is simply going to outperform the more expensive card by a good margin. I am sure ATI is trying their best to figure out their next move and it will certainly be interesting to see if their driver teams pull a rabbit out of their hat or not.

termin@tor said:
You beat me to it :( :attn: :D

When I said the GT is t3h pwn, nobody believed me. Now what can you say?

I've been with the 6800GT since it came out! Everyone was always bashing it and saying how the x800 pro was better. Pshh! 6800GT>you :attn: If doom 3 doesnt go right on my 9800p, i will deff upgrade to this. :drool:

Awesome. Based on HL2, we'll see which is more worth buying, the 6800GT or the x800PRO. This is just one game folks, you nvidia fanboys don't need to be counting your chickens before they hatch, or whatever that saying is. If the 6800GT runs like crap with HL2, then it'll come back and bite you in the butt. Anyways, the GT is looking better and better. potential 6800U speeds for $100 lesss? Sweet. :attn:

This one game is what matters. Halflife 2 looks excting and all, but Doom 3 is more visually impressive, which is what matters for a video card.

:eek: Sweet Baby Jesus. :eek:

Now to find a Canadian distributor of the 6800GT...

Doom 3 @ 1600x1200, here I come (well... maybe after some more RAM)!

12am said:
Can't say I didn't see this one coming though. For years ati's best has always been under nvidia's boot when it comes to opengl gaming. Ati needs to smarten up and get cracking on some better opengl support, or I fear many will jump ship just because of d3. It's kinda funny though, ati is king of direct3d and nvidia is king of opengl. It's like saying... if you want the best doom 3 experience get an nvidia card, but wait if you want the best hl2 experience grab an ati one. I guess it boils down to wich engine is going to be powering more games, doom3 or source and then pick your vid card accordingly.

dark_15 said:
You know guys... once mica sees this he is going to try and discredit it as best as he can... I think it's jut better to buy it and play it for yourself before making statements such as own3d...

There's too many variables and unknowns to actually give a final verdict. Not that I care... I'm not going to be playing Doom 3 on a machine like that. I want to know if it will run on my little machine in my sig and my brother's machine that I am going to build for him... that is all I need to know!

Best two posts in the thread :)

Remember that the systems tested with are still both very high end, and your mileage WILL vary. Your Ultra/XT/GT/Pro may do better or worse than somebody else's, and that's to be expected. It's just what happens when there's hundreds of variables in building a single computer.

Also, while Doom3 does better on nVidia's cards than ATI's, but anybody who says that wasn't to be expected to at least some degree has had their head in the OpenGL v. Direct3D sand. I'm a self-proclaimed fanATIc, and expected the GT to whoop on the XT in this game. Why? Because the XT and GT are reasonably close in quite a few games, and if you change the playground to something the GT likes better, it only stands to reason that it would beat the XT. Run Doom3 in Direct3D mode (if possible), and the XT will likely take the lead (or at the very least tie the GT).

JigPu

Hardin said:
This one game is what matters. Halflife 2 looks excting and all, but Doom 3 is more visually impressive, which is what matters for a video card.

Yeah. I used to think that when ppl say they're buying a new comp for Doom 3 they were kidding. They're not :eek: Some people buy it just for that game :clap:

Back