• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Point in overclocking videocard?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CircuitBreaker8

Disabled
Well, I was very curious to see what the point of OCing a videocard was, so I did two tests in 3dmark03. One test was with my 9800p @ 487/385 and the other was at 411/365(XT speeds). At 487/385, I got 7,310 in 3dmark03. At 411/365, I got 6,595. Now that may seem like a big difference, but i compared each test, and the difference between the two was AT MOST 8fps. Usually averaged 3-5fps. So I asked myself, is OCing the videocard really worth it? I will do another test with the card at 380/340 now.

Didnt we go through this already? Yes, I remember we did.

I told you that trying to pitch your Philosophy on a site filled with die hard overclocker's would be like walking into a volcano?

Have Fun.

In some cases that few FPS can mean a win and a loss. Take your pick. :D

Also, 3D Mark is not a good way to measure a realword gaming senario. Try making like a demo file with some game like UT/Quake/ anything. Then compare FPS with diff. oc speeds.

I'll take the 8 fps in Americas Army when someones trying to tag my butt with a SAW at 300m ... :)

8fps is the differance between 22fps and 30fps, which one is playable? I turn off options so I can get more FPS in games. A smooth FPS is the difference between life and death.

I oced my card and now i experience in game fps improvements up to 150% ..... pretty nice huh??? i can go from 30 to 60 fps which means i can play it at the next highest graphics settings which means my cards is much less obsolete than it used to be...hence the benefits of OCing. IF THAT IS NOT AN REASON TO OC THEN U GOT ME

It's there, it can be OCed, therefore it should and must be OCed. Don't they teach that in Comp101 anymore??? (Or is that Life101 - See Tim Taylor: "More power, Argh, Argh, Argh")

DWolf:cool:

The His card (x800Xt-Pe wit Rev4) was oced from 520 core to 575mhz and it only got 1 lousy FPS extra in Farcry so I doubt ocing a card like that would even be worth it since its already fast enough as it is.

When I play Far Cry on my 64 MB Ti4200 @ stock speeds of 250/513 I see the screen jumping and moving unsmoothly. This is at 1024/768 with all settings on medium. I run my trusty ti4200 @ 315/600 and I can suddenly play Far Cry @ 1024/x768 completly smooth, with some settings on High. It appears to me that overclocking my video card has done a great deal. Waiting for some RAM sinks so I can run my memory above 600 Mhz.

My only indicater is i went from 8900 3dmarks t0 10049 with a OC of526.5clock 492.8mem. but ya it is hard to notice a diffrence with my card. I run everything maxed out in setting's anyway. But if it can it shall be clocked. Hallelujah

My BFG 6800GT (already has a 20Mhz core OC) jumped from 9500 to 11350 in 3DMark03 when it went from 370/500 to 404/530. That moved it from the nature demo seeming very stuttering to a smooth nature demo. Yes there is a difference in overclocking, please don't ridiculously try to argue otherwise.

OBLIVIONLORD said:
The His card (x800Xt-Pe wit Rev4) was oced from 520 core to 575mhz and it only got 1 lousy FPS extra in Farcry so I doubt ocing a card like that would even be worth it since its already fast enough as it is.

Thats because its cpu limited.

--Josh

where is he trying to sway overclockers? he didnt tell you to not overclock your video card. he's just asking if it's really worth it in "real world" applications to overclock video cards. i think it's a valid question.

It most certainly is.He's Just preaching to the wrong people.
The first time he was saying that overclocking is overated blah blah blah and got everyone pissed off.hehe

Now he starts this thread with a slightly different twist.

CircuitBreaker8 said:
So I asked myself, is OCing the videocard really worth it?
Let's expand this a little...

Is going 62 in a 55mph zone worth it?
Is an extra 0.01$ per gallon of gasoline really worth anything?
Is not allowing airline passengers to carry-on oversized bags worth it?

All of these are examples of measuring "worth" in a bigger picture. 62mph in a 55mph zone may not be worth it for a ten minute drive -- you'll save only a few seconds overall. But on a ten hour drive, those extra 7mph (12% overspeed) may shave as much as an hour from your travel time.

An extra penny per gallon of gas? For just one car, it's nothing. For the three billion automobiles on the earth, that's a LOT of pennies... A few billion dollars of revenue could be made from that penny increase over a month or two.

One oversized bag in an entire airline full of people really doesn't affect much. But if every stinkin' person on the plane tries to stow their 55-gallon icechest-sized bag in the overhead bin, room runs out faster than people's bags.

Is overclocking a video card worth it? For 3Dmark, probably not. For games that need the horsepower and are bordering on unplayable? Certainly.

In my opinion, I think it depends on the videocard itself. Some videocards are worth to overclock and some are not. I used to have Asus FX 5200 128 and to overclock it will not show a decent improvement, either in 3DMark03 or game like FarCry. unless I was able to push it to ungodly speed.

Back