• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Random beeps? Wrong SPD detection?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NovaShine

My dad's office computer has been acting up lately. A week ago, he told me that the case speaker was making weird noises and beeping once every so often. So i checked it out, all the mobo connecters were connected right, no mistake there. All the bios settings seemed fine. So i did some extra. I flipped the ram divider to 1:1 instead of Auto, locked the CPU voltage at 1.75v (i think, im not sure now) locked the PCI/AGP at 66/33.

The specs on his com are:

Intel Pentium 4 1.7GHz Williamette core (400mhz bus speed quad pumped)
2x 256MB of PC2100 DDR SDRAM (Generic ram)
Asus P4B533 mobo (using onboard sound)
Western Digital 80GB IDE HDD
Nvidia Geforce 4 MMX440 Video Card

All of this was at stock, stock cooling too.

I booted up the comp, then it said something along the lines of partition(0) corrupted or something. Then it wont boot into windows. I checked in the bios, and in 1:1 mode, the mobo claimed that the SPD timings of the ram was 2-2-2-5, so i changed it back to Auto and checked the SPD timings again and it detected it correctly at 2.5-3-3-6, so i guess the ram corrupted the HDD whilst trying to run 100MHz (200MHz DDR) at 2-2-2-5 timings.

Im suspecting the mobo is busted due to all these problems, but i still cant be sure. Anyone wanna help me out on this?

Back