• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclocking geforce 2 ultra

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

touser

hi all i want to overclock my creative labs geforce 2 ultra card but i do not know how far to push it..can anyone else tell me what they have theirs running at stable with a stock HSF?mine is currently running at 250/458.any help or comments are greatly appreciated, also what programs would anyone recommend useing to overclock this thing?

Not real sure as to what to expect in overclocking that card as I don't own one (do have a GF3 and GF 256 DDR) but you can head over to TweakFiles' video section and pick up the latest release of RivaTuner. It's my favorite nVidia-based tweak program. There are several others there as well to choose from...

can anyone else with a geforce 2 ultra tell me how far they think i should push the card and not damage it? or what theres is running at stable now?

aside from rivatuner u can try nvmax

and

you wont damage the card from o/c but stay within 10% of everything with default cooling until u get better cooling'

that should be good enough

It's pretty simple. Firsly, go to www.tweakfiles.com, and get nvMax (Or RivaTuner, but I prefere nvMax).

Make sure you have the latest drivers.

Start overclocking. Turn up the core 2 MHz. Test the settings in Unreal Tournament, or Quake 3, or any "new" 3D game. (Look for white spots;snow [AKA Artifacts])

If there are no artifacts, try another 2 MHz. Chances are you'll get up between 10 and 20 MHz. (Don't jump all the way up though)

When you find a clock speed that doesn't have (or has very little) artifacts, set the clock speed down 2 or 3 MHz. There's your core speed.

Do the same with the memory. Up 2 MHz, test, up 2 MHz, test, etc., find minor artifacts, set it down 2-3MHz.

Simple, eh? I hope you can get at least another 15 MHz out of both memory and core speed! (If you have problems after turning up the speeds, I.E., constant system hangs, page faults, and what not, then you'll probably need to affix a larger heatsink to the GPU to solve heat issues, which cause problems. There are plenty of articles on how to do that right.)

thank you PhluBB for the detailed info!, one last question, i am going to upgrade the hsf on the card tomorrow and was wondering with better cooling i should be able to get more then 20mhz more out of the card correct? as of now i upped both ram and core by 10% and had 0 artifacts while running 3dmarks2k1 that i could see and no system lock-ups yet :)

touser said:
thank you PhluBB for the detailed info!, one last question, i am going to upgrade the hsf on the card tomorrow and was wondering with better cooling i should be able to get more then 20mhz more out of the card correct? as of now i upped both ram and core by 10% and had 0 artifacts while running 3dmarks2k1 that i could see and no system lock-ups yet :)

It depends on your card. Sometimes you can get 30 MHz. Sometimes you literally can't get a single more MHz withour artifacting.

Sometimes you can get more MHz with a better HSF, sometimes you can't. The core can only go so far before artifacts come, no matter how you cool them. There's an article on the main overclocker.com site of a guy who even tried a peltier with watercooling, and didn't get any gainst at ALL.

In all honesty, overclocking a card like a GeForce2 Ultra is pretty silly. It's already the fastest card on the market, they get faster framerates then GeForce3's. Overclocking it just basically gives you bragging rights, you won't notice a HUGE difference, like you would if you overclocked a Duron from 800 to 1300MHz.

If you're going to upgrade the HSF, I'd suggest the GeForce2 GTS cooling kit from 2CoolTek.com. See it here:

http://2cooltek.safeshopper.com/4/cat4.htm?529

I'd chose the GTS cooling setup, because the GeForce3 kit uses 1 Ramsink per 2 RAM chips. If you use a single RAMsink per chip, you get more surface area.

This kit is also very simple to install. It uses thermal tape, and the holes that are already in your card. Couldn't possibly be simpler. :)

i have a GF2 Pro, and it was at 200/400 and now with the stock HS. IT is running at 355/465, thats a 155/65 improvements, so u shold be able to get at least half that and i have 5.0ns ram

[OC] Jason said:
i have a GF2 Pro, and it was at 200/400 and now with the stock HS. IT is running at 355/465, thats a 155/65 improvements, so u shold be able to get at least half that and i have 5.0ns ram

Woah, don't get his hopes up! You've got a GOLDEN card. That's fantastic luck, that you ended up with such a card. Touser might not have a card capable of such a massive increase, and if he tried, he COULD damage his card.

Back